Help silkie injured neck

Tony89

Hatching
Jul 18, 2016
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help??
One of my silkies got her neck stuck in fencing pretty badly and I don't know if I made it worse trying to get her out !
Her neck wants to go all the way back and flops at the side.. She is still breathing and looks like she is just sleeping.. When I touch her she opens her eyes and can still flap around a little but can't walk well..
I have been giving her water that she can't take on her own and brought her in the house and in a cage with some hay n looks comfortable as she can be.
I was just wondering if anyone had saw this kind of injury before and could she pull through don't want to have to cull her if there is a chance..
Would making some sort of split help at all or anything I could do?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Tony

Chickens can heal up from lots of stuff if just left alone. For the first day or two they will be in shock. I would keep them quiet and comfortable and leave them be. They can go three days without water, so I wouldn't worry for your first day or two too much. They can go without feed longer. I wouldn't handle it too much with a neck injury. You should see it feeling better in about 3-4 days if it's going to and I would give it 1-2 weeks before I made any decisions to cull unless it's obviously suffering. I have had my dog mangle up a few birds pretty bad as far as whiplash. They all eventually improved. Wishing you luck that yours does too.

Thank you for message..
I've been giving her small bits of water through a syringe and she is taking it.. She is moving around a little bit with her eyes still closed almost as if she is dreaming lol
I am just going to leave her in there over next few days and hope she makes a recovering !
Thanks again for your message

Thank you for message..
I've been giving her small bits of water through a syringe and she is taking it.. She is moving around a little bit with her eyes still closed almost as if she is dreaming lol
I am just going to leave her in there over next few days and hope she makes a recovering !
Thanks again for your message

Hi there. Hope your having some luck. I am having a similar problem. My chicky was attacked by a hawk I think. I have since secured the area. I have her in a large dog crate in the garage with bedding, food water, and a fan. Looks like there was two puncture wounds - neck and back. The wounds look better but she is doing the same thing you are describing. Her head is completely back (looking up) and she can barely walk plus she is closing her eyes a lot. Opens them only for a moment when I talk to her. I've seen her peck a little at some lettuce I gave her but I haven't seen her eat. I've seen her sip only a tiny bit of water. I'm afraid I'm going to lose her. I will try some sugar in the water - that is a good idea plus I heard that oregano works as a natural antibiotic. This is the third day in the kennel, I'm really starting to worry. Any other suggestions or insight is welcome. Wish you the best with yours.

Hi there. Hope your having some luck. I am having a similar problem. My chicky was attacked by a hawk I think. I have since secured the area. I have her in a large dog crate in the garage with bedding, food water, and a fan. Looks like there was two puncture wounds - neck and back. The wounds look better but she is doing the same thing you are describing. Her head is completely back (looking up) and she can barely walk plus she is closing her eyes a lot. Opens them only for a moment when I talk to her. I've seen her peck a little at some lettuce I gave her but I haven't seen her eat. I've seen her sip only a tiny bit of water. I'm afraid I'm going to lose her. I will try some sugar in the water - that is a good idea plus I heard that oregano works as a natural antibiotic. This is the third day in the kennel, I'm really starting to worry. Any other suggestions or insight is welcome. Wish you the best with yours.
There's really nothing more you can do unless you have access to a vet that will see her. It took mine almost a month to heal up from the dog attacks. It's a slow process. As long as she's improving give her time. Showing interest in food is a good sign.

That's ashame hope yours makes a recovery! Would agree that showing interest is a good sign !
Mine has survived the night and her eyes are open a little more today but no much and making very slight chirping sounds every so often.. But isn't moving much at all :/ been giving her water through out the day with a little bit of sugar in it.. Don't know what I will do if there hasn't been any improvement and she won't eat any ideas on how i could try and feed her ?
Will try post up a picture
Tony

I wouldn't worry about feeding it yet. You don't need it to aspirate the food. If it hasn't shown any improvement after a week you should probably think about culling it.

Tony89 - I hope yours makes a recovery. Mine just died a couple hours ago. So sad. Tried to get her to drink sugar water with an eye dropper last night, she wouldn't take it. This morning she wouldn't open her eyes but was breathing and now she's gone. I reallt hope you have better luck. My best to all of you and thank you all for your help.

Back
Top Bottom