Help....Silkie neck is tilting

Chick-a-roos

Songster
10 Years
Jun 3, 2009
Blue Ridge, GA
I have a 11 week old Silkie "Andy". The past few days I have noticed his neck tilting to one side. He still eats and drinks well. My other chicks are not picking on him. At first, I actually thought maybe it was his vision but after researching the post here - I am confused! I have read about the common vitamin deficiency in silkies. Right now, all chicks are still being feed the Purina chick Starter (medicated) and of course treats (yogurt, boiled eggs, cheerios, fruits/veggies and etc. What type of vitamins do you give and how much? Do you also supplement with the Vitamin E? How do you give chicks vitamins? I am a new and very proud chicken owner....so I need details. The more post I try to research - the more confused I am! Please help, I don't want him to get any worse!

First of all..it would be good to separate the chick for it's own safety..
pecking on the head can also cause this sometimes..
better to be close so you can observe and give TLC..

you can try Poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins..Enfamil brand if possible..NO IRON..give 2-3 drops on beak once a day for a week, then taper off for another week.
also give some Vitamin E from capsule..

continue to feed well, (egg, etc)and if necessary, feed by hand..by moistening the feed give small dab at tip of mouth..or roll into small pellets, and place in mouth..stroke the neck downwards to encourage swallowing.
also give water by drops on beak..
the chick must be kept hydrated.

It might have Wry Neck, sometimes called Crookneck..

here is more specific treatment if the vitamins don't show improvement..

http://fowlfacts.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=2008&action=display&thread=429

I completely agree with sammi's post. I'd add to be sure to get the vitamin E as it is particularly helpful with healing neurological issues.

Sometimes birds get a case of wryneck caused by neurological irritation or other issues. Vitamin E is basically your neuro vitamin. It's an oil vitamin (like vitamin A, and D) and thus degrades more easily out of chicken feed because chicken feed is dry. Vitamin E absorbtion requires fats/oils to be thorough. So deficiencies of A, D, and E are not uncommon. A usually results in respiratory/ocular deficiencies, D usually results in calcium deficiencies, and E results in neurological symptoms.

So E's a good bet along with the polyvisol as sammi wisely recommended.

We'll be looking for updates. Good luck!

I started a new post this am "NEED Medication Protocol....Wry Neck". I was totally unsure how to give the Vitamins so I yelled for help.

So, I mixed the Poly-vi-sol and Vitamin E with a mashed boiled egg and yogurt.....Andy ate it really good - AFTER I mixed enough for my 5 other chicks! He would not eat alone. I didn't know what else to do so I hope he gets enough vitamins and it doesn't hurt the other chicks. I am still concerned that it may not be wry neck. He tilts his head to the left but more like he is adjusting his vision. (almost, like he is looking side-ways) Sorry, if that doesn't make sense. If he was blind in one eye...would this be a normal response? or what else could it be?

If he was getting the optical form of mareks, it would be a normal reaction, yes - or if he couldn't see in that eye.

Pick up the chicken, check the side that he puts down to the ground - cover that eye with one hand for a few seconds. Then remove it and watch if it dilates and contracts appropriately. You can also do this without covering by having it uncovered then suddenly shining a flashlight into it (it should contract, the pupil) and then removing the flashlight.

So, all my chicks think I am nuts. First, I check Andy's eyes - both pupils are equal and reactive to light. To comfirm...I pick up each chick to do the "eye exam"! I wanted to be sure all eyes were the same!

I am still administering the Poly-vi-sol and Vitamin E. Andy's neck is no worse or better. (still the tilt to the left) It has not affected him in anyway....eats/drinks very good and poop is normal. Except, we have a small perch for the chicks to hang out during the day in their run. Andy and my other silkie both used it - until about 2 weeks ago...I have not seen Andy up there.

Should I continue to worry or wait to see if he shows further symptoms?

I'd just wait until further developments, really. If he were mine, I'd treat with vitamin E in addition to the polyvisol. But that's just me. It really depends on the amount of e that's in it.

I have been administering Vitamin E 400iu along with the Poly-vi-sol (3 drops). He receives both vitamins in a mashed boiled egg. And of course he loves that!
Is 400iu enough for a 11 week old Silkie?

Back
Top Bottom