Help Sizing Coop/Run

yoyoma8686

In the Brooder
May 28, 2023
Laurel, MT
I’m in the planning stages of owning chickens and in city limits with regulations. Because I live in town in a small yard, I can only have six hens and the coop and run will be going down the middle of my back yard away from all property lines and alleys/sidewalks/roads. This means the entire run will be 6x10 given the space I have to work with, with the coop inside the run elevated to maximize space in the run. I also live in a northern climate (Montana).

By law I have to have a minimum of 12 sq ft of space for those 6 hens in my coop (total). Technically I could easily do a 4x3 coop, but I’m wondering if I should make the coop bigger to make the chickens more comfortable, especially since they will be in the coop a lot during the winter to keep warm. Or, if that will actually backfire because it will be harder for them to generate heat in a larger coop in the winter.

So, what size coop would you recommend for 6 hens in a northern climate?

Four square feet of coop space per chicken is recommended. They will still be able to help keep each other warm, and to can use extra bedding in the winter as well. So 4x6 or 5x5 or 3x8. I strongly recommend you consider the layout, litter method and how you will clean out the coop. Think about how far in you can reach when cleaning, what tools you would use, and give yourself plenty of access. Also consider there the roosts will go, relative to the nest boxes and food and water. It's best to have a clean side, and a dirty side of the coop, which will help keep the eggs cleaner and prevent them pooping in their water etc.

There is also a whole section of the forums on coop and run builds that you may find helpful! Don't forget adequate ventilation, as chickens can get frostbitten in the coop if condensation cannot escape in the winter. It's a lot to think about!

By law I have to have a minimum of 12 sq ft of space for those 6 hens in my coop (total).
That's factory farm spacing.
Typical recommendation here is 4sqft in coop and 10sqft in run.
But many have found that to be a minimum, more space is always better, for the birds and thus the keepers. Many variables need to be considered when figuring hos much space will work best.

I’m wondering if I should make the coop bigger to make the chickens more comfortable, especially since they will be in the coop a lot during the winter to keep warm.
Yes, you should, unless you are going to make the run predator and weather proof.

Or, if that will actually backfire because it will be harder for them to generate heat in a larger coop in the winter.
Chickens keep themselves warm with their feathers, they don't 'heat the coop'.
Holding heat in the coop is a fallacy as adequate ventilation is essential and much more important than a 'warm coop'.

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @yoyoma8686
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1685278620250.png

I’m in the planning stages of owning chickens and in city limits with regulations. Because I live in town in a small yard, I can only have six hens and the coop and run will be going down the middle of my back yard away from all property lines and alleys/sidewalks/roads. This means the entire run will be 6x10 given the space I have to work with, with the coop inside the run elevated to maximize space in the run. I also live in a northern climate (Montana).

By law I have to have a minimum of 12 sq ft of space for those 6 hens in my coop (total). Technically I could easily do a 4x3 coop, but I’m wondering if I should make the coop bigger to make the chickens more comfortable, especially since they will be in the coop a lot during the winter to keep warm. Or, if that will actually backfire because it will be harder for them to generate heat in a larger coop in the winter.

So, what size coop would you recommend for 6 hens in a northern climate?
We have similar regulations and weather where I live. You might want to take a look at the coop we just built in the Our Oak Abode coop thread. At 32 sq feet it would be good for 8 chickens. We could have made it smaller, 6x4 instead of 8x4, but plywood comes in 8x4 sheets and 2x3s and 2x4s come in 8 ft lengths. We tried to make it easy on us and the hens won't complain about the extra space when it is 10 below outside and they are staying in.

Four square feet of coop space per chicken is recommended. They will still be able to help keep each other warm, and to can use extra bedding in the winter as well. So 4x6 or 5x5 or 3x8. I strongly recommend you consider the layout, litter method and how you will clean out the coop. Think about how far in you can reach when cleaning, what tools you would use, and give yourself plenty of access. Also consider there the roosts will go, relative to the nest boxes and food and water. It's best to have a clean side, and a dirty side of the coop, which will help keep the eggs cleaner and prevent them pooping in their water etc.

There is also a whole section of the forums on coop and run builds that you may find helpful! Don't forget adequate ventilation, as chickens can get frostbitten in the coop if condensation cannot escape in the winter. It's a lot to think about!
Thank you! Also, providential I saw your Sacred Heart prayer on the first day of the month of June, dedicated to the Sacred Heart!

That's factory farm spacing.
Typical recommendation here is 4sqft in coop and 10sqft in run.
But many have found that to be a minimum, more space is always better, for the birds and thus the keepers. Many variables need to be considered when figuring hos much space will work best.

Yes, you should, unless you are going to make the run predator and weather proof.

Chickens keep themselves warm with their feathers, they don't 'heat the coop'.
Holding heat in the coop is a fallacy as adequate ventilation is essential and much more important than a 'warm coop'.

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @yoyoma8686
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3520798
Thanks! Updated my location. I'm in Montana!

We have similar regulations and weather where I live. You might want to take a look at the coop we just built in the Our Oak Abode coop thread. At 32 sq feet it would be good for 8 chickens. We could have made it smaller, 6x4 instead of 8x4, but plywood comes in 8x4 sheets and 2x3s and 2x4s come in 8 ft lengths. We tried to make it easy on us and the hens won't complain about the extra space when it is 10 below outside and they are staying in.
I will search for that thread. I've been watching the Oak Abode YouTube videos. Same? I made a note about built in niche for the waterer. I also watched another guy's video that did a rainwater collection system that said the same thing about the sheets of plywood. My husband is a contractor and does woodworking as a hobby so I have no concerns about construction other than layout and design to tell him what to build.

I will search for that thread. I've been watching the Oak Abode YouTube videos. Same? I made a note about built in niche for the waterer. I also watched another guy's video that did a rainwater collection system that said the same thing about the sheets of plywood. My husband is a contractor and does woodworking as a hobby so I have no concerns about construction other than layout and design to tell him what to build.
Yes, it is the same coop from the Oak Abode YouTube channel. You are fortunate to have a husband that is skilled at carpentry. If I was more skilled, I might have tried to make a fancier coop, but the Oak Abode coop is an efficient design and it works for us.

Back
Top Bottom