Help skull and neck exposed! How to euthanize my hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kerusnak, May 31, 2016.

1. kerusnak

kerusnak Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2015
    South Mississippi
    I think my picked on hen got mauled by the flock today. I came home and found her barely moving with her skull and inner neck exposed. She will die but how can I help her sooner? Shes standing and taking a few steps but looks woozy. I don't want to cut, snap or chop her neck because of the injury. I'm also a big baby

2. Buzzlee

Buzzlee Just Hatched

May 31, 2016
    Anson, Maine
    Here is a video on disarticulating a chicken warning though its graphic. Just remind yourself you are ending the misery for it. Sorry that you go through this. Best wishes.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Are you sure she can't be saved? Can you post a picture?

-Kathy

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Sorry. I must be a big baby too, cuz I have tears in my eyes right now.... [​IMG]

But I'm here to learn because I know I will one day face something similar.

I read yesterday about using ether (starting fluid) to euthanize a chick. I would think it would work the same.

Good luck.

5. kerusnak

kerusnak Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2015
    South Mississippi
    I ended up having hubby come home and help. She was definately going to die. Poor girl was soaked in blood and barely responsive. Hubby thought he could see brain. I feel so sorry for the pain she must have been in for hours before I got home. We didn't have an axe or knife (not that I am going to pretend I could have done it that way) so we decided to shoot her. The only .22 we had was a rifle but it did the job. I'm still in shock that the other girls did that to her.

6. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    I am very sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by