Help! Sleepy and lethargic chicken

Just want to second @Wyorp Rock on raising the food and water. I have had spilled feed go moldy very quickly also, living in the southern part of the country mold is always an issue. All my feeders and waterers are raised either by hanging with a chain or up on concrete blocks. It helps with spills since they can't try to scratch in it, and it also helps keep droppings and kicked dirt out of it, which can spread disease.
Your birds ARE very pretty! I've got one that looks a lot like your girl that's not feeling well.

Alright! So, the vet was able to do a fecal test without needing to see her, I did not get the Corid as a preventative because we couldn't afford that and the test. The test came back positive for Coccidia and Helminths. The vet gave me an article explaining it all, and the treatments I could do. Now we're going to find the money to stop by the feed store tomorrow and pick up the medication.

My theory is that Frosty got into a situation that weakened her immune system, causing the parasites to run rampant, which is why the others aren't showing any symptoms. Thanks for all the help everybody! I will continue to update this as her progress hopefully improves.

Alright! So, the vet was able to do a fecal test without needing to see her, I did not get the Corid as a preventative because we couldn't afford that and the test. The test came back positive for Coccidia and Helminths. The vet gave me an article explaining it all, and the treatments I could do. Now we're going to find the money to stop by the feed store tomorrow and pick up the medication.

My theory is that Frosty got into a situation that weakened her immune system, causing the parasites to run rampant, which is why the others aren't showing any symptoms. Thanks for all the help everybody! I will continue to update this as her progress hopefully improves.
Glad you were able to get the test!
What de-wormer did your vet recommend using - did he say which type of worm (helminth) that she had - tapeworm, roundworm, etc?

The vet recommended what you guys did, the Corid (though he called it amprolium, since Corid is probably a brand name). He did not mention what helminth she had, and said that it could just be environmental contamination (since the poop was cleaned up off the ground). He sent me the info in an article via email, and only really spoke about the coccidia. Should I ask him what type of helminth he found?

It would be good to know which one (helminth), medications and dosing could be different depending on which one. Yes, Corid is a brand name for amprolium, common in the US. The Corid/amprolium will treat the coccidia, but will not treat the helminth.

Okay, so the vet said that they were roundworms and since my bird is lethargic, I should treat her for but the coccidia and roundworms. I bought the Corid this morning and already added a measured does to their water, so now I just need help on what roundworm medication to give her.

Also, I attached a pic of her feet because they're looking a little swollen. Could that be the reason for her not really wanting to move around or stand much? She was perching earlier today. I could just be paranoid.

Attachments

• 20180926_172031.jpg
    20180926_172031.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 3
You can use Safeguard Liquid Goat wormer or Valbazen for the roundworms. Those are direct dose orally, two doses 10 days apart. Most people find the Safeguard easier to find locally, Valbazen is a bit smaller dose to give. You can also use Wazine for roundworms, but it's only good for roundworms, the other two are good for most worms they can get. If you use Wazine, it's mixed in the water so I would complete the Corid treatment before treating with Wazine. I personally always do the direct dose wormers so I know they got the correct amount. I have wormed with both Safeguard and Valbazen while doing treatment with Corid with no issues. Not sure what is going on with the feet. Have you checked the bottoms of the feet for any scabs or injuries? Has she been limping?
If they are bothering her you can try an epsom salt soak for 20 minutes or so, it may help.

I agree with @coach723 you do have some choices for treating the roundworms. Safeguard and Valbazen are both very good. For roundworm only you can use the Wazine, but I too would use that one after you finish the Corid.

The feet, I'm not sure what's going on there either. They do look swollen a bit. Soaking in epsom salts may help. You mentioned in your opening post that you gave probiotics daily in the water - what product are you using?

Back
Top Bottom