HELP!!! Slight pip... now what?!?!?

Echoes

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Utah
Okay. So one of my eggs pipped alittle about an hour ago. There's just a tiny crack where he started to pip. And since then I haven't seen any movement... atleast not that I noticed.

So should I pick at it alittle bit with tweezers jsut to help it along?

.... I know most members on here are "anti-helping", which is fine.. but if it means the difference between my chick living and not living, I'm gonna help him. So please, honestly... what should I do?

Alright. Sorry to come off crazy, but this is my first time hatching chicks and the one who came out before him came like right out. I'm just making sure this is normal.

Thanks for your patience.

Don't touch. It can take a whole day or more sometimes for them to do anything after pipping. If it's the first one it's likely to take even longer than the others. Often the first pips jump the gun and aren't really ready to hatch. They have to sit there and absorb the yolk and blood vessels. If you try to get them out of the egg early they will bleed to death. Opening the bator while they are trying to hatch can dry them to the inside of the shell so they can't hatch and kill all the ones that haven't pipped.

Do Nothing, You could easily go to bed and wake up to status quo. A pip does not mean it will hatch anytime soon, it could but not likely.

Keep telling yourself Do not get involved, let mother nature work it's miracle.

Last edited:
I am not anti helping when it is needed. In your case its not. I had one pip yesterday at noon and it hatched 21 hours later. This is totally normal. They pip because they are running out of air and carbon dioxide building up in the shell. It does not always mean they have absorbed the yolk and the blood. If you help now the chances are real good it will be to soon and the chick will die. I never start to even think about intervening until it is past 24 hours and then not unless I see a problem that is noticable. When all have hatched then I check to assist. Once you start you will have to finish and it may be to soon.

i agree with jamie, i have some that pip at noon and still have not hatched yet, sometimes it takes 30 hours for mine to hatch out but they will. william

Back
Top Bottom