HELP. SMALL CHICKEN RUN.

The common recommendation on this forum is 10 square feet per chicken in the run-- and it looks like the run provides exactly that. So it looks like their research did turn up an appropriate number :)

Of course more space is always nicer, but that amount really should be fine.
I have 6 banties that sulk like crazy when I shut them inside their 128 SF pen. 20-plus SF each, plus another 7 SF each in their coop. So, yes, more is always better. 🙂 Run clutter helps a lot, as mentioned by others.

I am a high school student who just moved and my dad agreed to let me get chickens (I am very passionate about it and have researched for almost 3 years) and just 3 months ago I got my first 11 chicks.
They are as of now still in the brooder in the garage. We live in washington. My dads girlfriend did not want to free range them and neither did I due to all the predators in this area. We also had no time to build a coop so we hired a contractor for 4000 to build a predator proof run for us. He started working after 2 weeks of planning and I came home to this.
View attachment 2857822
This is one of my 3 week old BO hens. I have 4 other silkies and a mix of 7 other standard breeds. I wanted to add a dust bathing area, a swing, various perches, and room for all 11 of my chickens.

My dad and his girlfriend say that this coop run is not too small because they "did their research" (maybe a 20 minute google search) and that I'm lucky I have them at all.
I got upset, I told them it definitely was not big enough. We have a huge food and water bin to add as well. They said they should have just gotten a cardboard box to put them in.
View attachment 2857839
That's why I'm here. Is this run big enough?
I feel like they'd listen if experienced people voiced their opinions on this.
Any of you have a good way to explain to them this is just too small?
Just move the coop to the outside of the run. Loads easier that way. Have the pophole facing onto the run.

Tell your parents, no real extra costs but it'll add almost a 3rd onto the run area.

Sorry, I haven't read the thread properly, just giving my suggestion.

How big is that coop? It does look strikingly similar to the medium size OverEZ coop, which is about 4x4. A 4x4 coop provides 16sqft of living space inside. At even a modest 3sqft per bird, you could only cram 5 regular (non-bantam) birds into it.

Unless my math is wrong, you're going to need an entire second coop -- at a minimum. Eleven birds was a lot to start with...

Last edited:
We live in washington.... we hired a contractor for 4000 to build a predator proof run for us.
Is the run going to have a roof?

If the run really is predator proof when it is done, and if it has a roof, then you can treat it as an open-air chicken coop. Then the "coop" in the picture can just be used for nestboxes and perches. The common guideline for 4 square feet of floor space per chicken in the coop is assuming they spend time in the coop on rainy days, in the morning before you let them out, and so forth. But if the run is secure enough, you do not need to EVER shut them into the coop for safety, and if the run has a roof the chickens should be able to come out and use it in all weather. So they will effectively be living in a "coop" with 10 square feet each, lots of ventilation, and an attached little building for nests and roosting.

How big is that coop? It does look strikingly similar to the medium size OverEZ coop, which is about 4x4. A 4x4 coop provides 16sqft of living space inside. At even a modest 3sqft per bird, you could only cram 5 regular (non-bantam) birds into it.

Unless my math is wrong, you're going to need an entire second coop -- at a minimum. Eleven birds was a lot to start with...
Yes well they said 1 bird per person in you family and sense out family just grew from 4 to 9... with the subtraction of my mom passing away in June...

And of course the chicken math got me with 2 extra. Also I'm going to college soon to study to be a veterinarian :old And keeping chickens has been my dream for 4 years now and my life has completly changed basically so keeping animals is just what keeps me in check. LOL sorry for drawling on like that.

Anyway yes it is the medium OverEZ. They wanted a cheaply made tractor supply coop and I just couldn't have that. Besides the big money increase on the large coop, they were all out of them anyway, and we didn't really care to order online so.... that got us here today. 😅

If the run really is predator proof when it is done, and if it has a roof, then you can treat it as an open-air chicken coop. Then the "coop" in the picture can just be used for nestboxes and perches. The common guideline for 4 square feet of floor space per chicken in the coop is assuming they spend time in the coop on rainy days, in the morning before you let them out, and so forth. But if the run is secure enough, you do not need to EVER shut them into the coop for safety, and if the run has a roof the chickens should be able to come out and use it in all weather. So they will effectively be living in a "coop" with 10 square feet each, lots of ventilation, and an attached little building for nests and roosting.
❤️The guys worked on it all day today and it definitly looks nice. Only thing is they are using cattle fencing which is awesome for how strong it is... like i don't have to worry about bears and etc. but really not good with all the raccoons...minks...you know what I mean. I don't think these people get what raccoons can do through fencing to chickens.

Other than that problem I love your idea. Sadly I live in washington where the winters get freezing and with the mistake of getting silkies that just worries me 😅 by summer their coop will definitly be predator proofed and I'll be able to let them sleep outside but sense winter in coming... brr.:oops:

Also it should at least have 2/3rds of roof over the run. Haven't checked yet though!

Back
Top Bottom