HELP. SMALL CHICKEN RUN.

1023211355.jpg

The coop and run
1023211351.jpg

Hurry! Take a picture before the chickens notice you!!
1023211351_HDR.jpg

Oh no... 😂
1023211353.jpg

They have dispersed and I take a pic from inside the run :> its in panorama mode so it kinda looks bigger than it is lol
1023211353d.jpg

Chickens do not allow the close up pics 😂
1023211354c.jpg

Finally, attention 😒

Looks great except for a raccoon can get their front hand like paws through the wire mesh you have and pull any chicken it can reach to itself and eat it in pieces. Sounds gruesome, but this is what raccoons do.
Also would replace the chicken wire you have up around the venting of the roof with hardware cloth.😊

Yeah that sounds so fun but we live by a bunch of pine trees :(

Sometimes people rake their leaves, bag them, and sit them out for the trash company to take-- they might not mind if you took the leaves instead.

I also know someone who organized a leaf-raking party of teenagers at the local church, and volunteered to haul away all the bagged leaves at the end. Their chickens were quite happy about that :D

Looks great except for a raccoon can get their front hand like paws through the wire mesh you have and pull any chicken it can reach to itself and eat it in pieces. Sounds gruesome, but this is what raccoons do.
Also would replace the chicken wire you have up around the venting of the roof with hardware cloth.😊
Yes so we already plan to overlap the existing wire with some other wire (hopefully hardware cloth) and I don't know what we'll do about the roof yet. It might become a problem because we are underneath pine trees and sticks and branches fall all the time and I suspect it to get worse in the coming winter winds. Thankfully, no predators yet.

Sometimes people rake their leaves, bag them, and sit them out for the trash company to take-- they might not mind if you took the leaves instead.

I also know someone who organized a leaf-raking party of teenagers at the local church, and volunteered to haul away all the bagged leaves at the end. Their chickens were quite happy about that :D
I can put a wanted out on craigslist but I don't know how my dad would feel... he really hates maple leaves.

I can put a wanted out on craigslist but I don't know how my dad would feel... he really hates maple leaves.
I can understand this as the seeds come with the leaves. In my front yard I have birch and ash trees with no seeds. I tossed some in the run last week and they are broken up better than pine shavings and hemp bedding.

Yeah that sounds so fun but we live by a bunch of pine trees :(
I see at least 1 (actually, a few) small deciduous trees in the background of your photos...

We have mostly cedar and hemlock but there's 1 large maple, 1 magnolia and 1 chestnut tree, and they easily provide a dozen bags of dried leaves for storage every year. Might want to look around your neighborhood and see who has what trees dropping leaves, most folks would be happy to have you take them away!

I see at least 1 (actually, a few) small deciduous trees in the background of your photos...

We have mostly cedar and hemlock but there's 1 large maple, 1 magnolia and 1 chestnut tree, and they easily provide a dozen bags of dried leaves for storage every year. Might want to look around your neighborhood and see who has what trees dropping leaves, most folks would be happy to have you take them away!
In the deep bramble on the neighbors property, yes. :lol:
I'll stick with arborist chips for now but maybe next year or spring

Back
Top Bottom