Help - Smallest chick bleeding

Builderbee

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2020
Midcoast Maine
So my little 3 week old Favorelle has a bloody spot on her rear. Looks like a broken feather maybe? Anyway I caught my bigger chicks and keets pecking at that spot. I have treated by washing and a little bit of neosporin and have separated her from the others as best as I can right now. How long does it take something like this to heal. Not the best picture but it’s the dark spot on her rear and this is the separation. She can still see everyone and they can see her and poke their head through but she has room to get away. Any advice is welcome to help me help her. 😳
AF04369D-61CC-43FB-A9C4-B02F7CB49C0E.jpeg
34782528-D5F5-4079-8C8A-74D2075DD3E3.jpeg

Sonya9

Crowing
6 Years
Feb 7, 2014
Georgia
Once the blood is not visible they should stop but definitely keep an eye on them the first day or two. Many people keep Blu-Kote for their birds which is a livestock antiseptic containing Venetian Violet. It dyes the area a dark purple to hide blood (pharmacies sell a version too).

If you had some of that you could dab some on the spot to cover the blood with a q-tip (though be careful as it permanently stains everything it gets on).

Weeg

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Washington
is it affecting her vent at all, or just on her back. I bet she will heal up just fine, flush the wound with vetrycin or warm water in a spray bottle. Then put neosporin on the wound, more vetrycin, or both. Whatever you have on hand. Put a bit of saveAchick electrolytes in her water, or apple cider vinegar. Keep her separated, how old is she? Maybe put a mirror in her pen if she cant see her buddies so she doesn't get lonely!:D She will heal quickly! You got his, Avery

Builderbee

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2020
Midcoast Maine
So I did clean and put some neosporin and they can see each other. I only have one area for them right now so I just divided it with some wire. I don’t want to break the flock up If I don’t have to. She is about 3 weeks old. I will look for some blu-kote too. It looked like a broken feather bleeding not her skin. I don’t know what happened but I did find a small spray of blood on the side of the pen.

RainbowHen

Make eggs, not war
Premium Feather Member
Jul 10, 2020
Wisconsin
She seems much smaller than them. How big is your brooder? Not enough space and boredom causes picking.

Builderbee

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2020
Midcoast Maine
She is the youngest she and 1 other are about 3 weeks, everyone else is 6-7 weeks, which was not the plan but it happened. I am planning a bigger space for them in place by the end of the week. I would like to put them outside during the day as I have a 6’ x 6’ temp run set up for them. It’s going to be 9’ x 15’ but I am still waiting on some materials. Can I put her out all day at this age? It’s at least 80 degrees everyday.

RainbowHen

Make eggs, not war
Premium Feather Member
Jul 10, 2020
Wisconsin
She is the youngest she and 1 other are about 3 weeks, everyone else is 6-7 weeks, which was not the plan but it happened. I am planning a bigger space for them in place by the end of the week. I would like to put them outside during the day as I have a 6’ x 6’ temp run set up for them. It’s going to be 9’ x 15’ but I am still waiting on some materials. Can I put her out all day at this age? It’s at least 80 degrees everyday.
I would put the oldest ones out and leave the youngest in the brooder. The youngest can go out but will need supplemental heat.

waytomanychickens

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2020
So my little 3 week old Favorelle has a bloody spot on her rear. Looks like a broken feather maybe? Anyway I caught my bigger chicks and keets pecking at that spot. I have treated by washing and a little bit of neosporin and have separated her from the others as best as I can right now. How long does it take something like this to heal. Not the best picture but it’s the dark spot on her rear and this is the separation. She can still see everyone and they can see her and poke their head through but she has room to get away. Any advice is welcome to help me help her. 😳
View attachment 2287244 View attachment 2287247
guinea keets can be very aggressive , consider separating them from the chickens. I have had good luck offering crumbled tofu or mashed cooked beans with a heavy sprinkling of salt to help discourage picking. part of picking is stress, but it is also a craving for salt[blood is salty] and protein. I was amazed that I only had to offer some salty beans once it stopped the picking on the same day. rest and time to heal is the best thing to help her

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
It looked like a broken feather bleeding not her skin.
New feathers(pin or blood feathers) coming in are filled with blood,
if broken they can bleed quite copiously.
Tried blukote, the bird itself preened it off.
Had to fully pluck the feather to stop the bleeding.

So you are adding a single 3wo chick to a group of 6wo chicks?

Builderbee

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2020
Midcoast Maine
I didn’t find Blu-Kote but I did find something else that does the same thing. I still have her separated at the moment but after I add another coat I am going to let her back with the flock and keep an eye on them. She is not happy being kept away from them even though she can see them. I was supposed to get two 4week old chicks (mine were 4-5 weeks at that point) when this happened so I could add them to the existing babies, but that was not what I ended up with. I did get two, the other is a Lyonnaise but I don’t know 100% how old they all are, as I didn’t get any of them right out of the shell, the ages are estimates based on research and pictures I have found here and online. They have been getting along just fine other than the smaller chicks get stepped on, but I have noticed that they all walk all over each other quite a bit. I did manage to double the size of the pen they have in the garage last night so hopefully that will help too. I really don’t want to divide the flock even though the older birds could be living outside at this point. Plus I am still waiting for materials to complete the permanent run for them, I only have a temp one at the moment. I should be able to get everyone out at the beginning of September.

Top Bottom