Help! Sneezing chicks & blood in brooder...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sillyovrsilkies, Mar 11, 2011.

1. sillyovrsilkies

sillyovrsilkies Songster

Sep 1, 2010
    Bluegrass State
    I have 5 Ameraucanas and 3 Silkie chicks in a brooder (inside the house b/c even w/ heat lamps it's pretty cold in the garage) and I noticed yesterday one of the Ameracanas sneeze, but I didn't think too much of it. Last night before going to bed, I went to check on them and found seveal of them now sneezing and what appeared to be blood in a few fecal droppings. I immediately started them on Sulmet in their waterer (b/c that's what I had on hand) using 1/2 tsp in a 1 qt. waterer (assuming cocci). They have been on medicated feed and I clean out their brooder several times per day also changing their waterer to ensure it's clean. I'm really unsure how this happened. Is there anything else I should be doing for them? Other than the sneezing & blood, none appear sick. They're up running around and seem lively. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

2. Zanna

Zanna Songster

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
  3. sillyovrsilkies

sillyovrsilkies Songster

Sep 1, 2010
    Bluegrass State
    Quote:Yes, I've seen this website...very interesting indeed! But, what I'm seeing looks similiar to the pics captioned as "shed intestinal lining," is this possible w/ chicks or only older birds?

Should I take them off the Sulmet or leave it as a precaution???? (Again, they're on medicated feed).

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Quote:It's common, even on medicated feed and in spite of cleanliness. Sneezing can be from dust alone since when they shed fuzz, it flies everywhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: