Help! Sneezing chicks & blood in brooder...

sillyovrsilkies

Songster
9 Years
Sep 1, 2010
Bluegrass State
I have 5 Ameraucanas and 3 Silkie chicks in a brooder (inside the house b/c even w/ heat lamps it's pretty cold in the garage) and I noticed yesterday one of the Ameracanas sneeze, but I didn't think too much of it. Last night before going to bed, I went to check on them and found seveal of them now sneezing and what appeared to be blood in a few fecal droppings. I immediately started them on Sulmet in their waterer (b/c that's what I had on hand) using 1/2 tsp in a 1 qt. waterer (assuming cocci). They have been on medicated feed and I clean out their brooder several times per day also changing their waterer to ensure it's clean. I'm really unsure how this happened. Is there anything else I should be doing for them? Other than the sneezing & blood, none appear sick. They're up running around and seem lively. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Quote:
Yes, I've seen this website...very interesting indeed! But, what I'm seeing looks similiar to the pics captioned as "shed intestinal lining," is this possible w/ chicks or only older birds?

Should I take them off the Sulmet or leave it as a precaution???? (Again, they're on medicated feed).

Back
Top Bottom