Help solving mite problem with Ivermectin

bea_aurora

Hatching
May 29, 2022
Hello, all! I know this forum is for chickens, but I desperately need help/advice for Ivermectin treatment to kill mites on mybpigeon. I'm hoping treatment for pigeons is essentially the same as chickens. If my pet bird (a rock pigeon) spends time around a flock of untreated wild birds every morning and is therefore exposed to new mites daily, would Ivermectin drops onto the neck skin still help keep mites from surviving on him and being brought home to my house? How often may I repeat the treatment considering his unusual case of spending time with a wild untreated flock every morning but sleeping indoors with me every night? Would treating once a week indefinitely be too much or cause overdose? Also, if Ivermectin essentially kills mites by remaining in the bloodstream and paralyzing the mites when they bite the bird, why is it recommended to repeat treatment shortly after the first dose? Does it NOT stay in the system and continue to kill blood-suckling mites for longer than 1-2 weeks at a time? I know my pigeons case is unusual, but he truly is a special little guy! I cannot prevent him from flying off and mingling with THE wild untreated flock every morning lest he become unhappy. I cannot treat the flock because they are wild and not domesticated. Would like to know if repeating Ivermectin drops treatment regularly will help me keep new mites from surviving on him and how often is considered safe enough to retreat, given his circumstances. Wondering if once a week treatment is too much? Thank you so much in advance to anyone who can lend guidance!

Welcome to BYC. Does your pigeon have mites?
Thanks so much for the warm welcome! Yes. My pigeon definitely has bird mites. He sleeps indoors with me but spends mornings and afternoons outdoors with a wild untreated flock. Looking for a solution to keep him protected from new mites he will inevitably be exposed to every day. Would you know how long Ivermectin Spot-on Drops continues to kill mites for in bird's system? How soon can it be reapplied so that my bird is constantly protected?

I was told by a reputable chicken farmer that pour over ivermectin 50/50 mix w water can be sprayed on the vent and under each wing snd it'll cure a whole lot of chicken issues..

I was told by a reputable chicken farmer that pour over ivermectin 50/50 mix w water can be sprayed on the vent and under each wing snd it'll cure a whole lot of chicken issues..so
I was told by a reputable chicken farmer that pour over ivermectin 50/50 mix w water can be sprayed on the vent and under each wing snd it'll cure a whole lot of chicken issues..
So helpful to know, Sweethearts! Would you know if "pour on" Ivermectin is the same kind that is dropped topically to the back of bird's necks, which is the kind I have? I know Ivermectin comes in several forms including one that is to be mixed with and drunk with water, one for injectable use, and one for topical use. Which one can be mixed with water to be used as a spray? And won't the Ivermectin sprayed this way overdose the bird since it might still enter through their skin?

Oh, and also, won't spraying this Ivermectin-water mix on the bird be potentially harmful to the bird if he ingest it during preening?

No. Ivermectin kills parasites its not harmful so long as it's the right strength
Thank you again! How often can the birds be sprayed? Wondering if every other day would be okay, since my bird spends each morning outdoors with wild untreated birds who no doubt transfer new mites to him.

Can anyone speak to HOW LONG Ivermectin's mite-killing effects last in the bird's system following every treatment? How long before it wears off and retreatment is advisable?

Back
Top Bottom