Help! Someone's stray or lost chickens are in my yard

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by smurrayesq, Sep 8, 2011.

1. smurrayesq

smurrayesq New Egg

Sep 8, 2011
    Hello! My name is Susan and I live on six acres in Pennsylvania. The other day, three chickens began to show up at my bird feeders. I think that they might be Rhode Island Reds and it appears that there is one rooster and two hens. I don't know if they were blown in by the recent storms, or have just wandered into my yard and go home somewhere to roost at night, although I don't know of any immediate neighbor owning chickens. I don't mind feeding them, but my husband is not a big fan of chickens, so I have no plans on building a coop to keep them. I guess my question is: What do I do? I've checked with immediate neighbors and no one has, or is missing chickens. The chickens keep their distance when I approach. How far would chickens wander? Maybe they live further away than I think. Is there a chicken rescue group? I have heard that it is very difficult for an inexperienced person to catch them. If I thought they would survive long term, I'd just leave them alone, but once winter comes, they would be goners.
    Thanks for any advice offered.

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Welcome!! It is quite possible they were broughtin by a storm. Where do you live? chickens canfend for themselves quite well, but they would love a supplementation such as you bird feeder. They are probably roosting in some nearby trees,a nd probably laying their eggs beneath them. If you put a box near where they wander, they might give you breakfast. [​IMG] Much more rewarding feeeding birds that give something back, IMO. [​IMG]

As far as trying to locate their previous owners, I would put a notice up in town in several l=places, and maybe on craigslist. Tehy are easy to catch at night when they are roosting. Oh and fyi, if they don't have e perch to roost on, they will sit onthe ground at night.

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:I would post them on here in the auction section as found birds and see if you get any takers who live nearby obviously after you have tried to find the owners
    Also, it is easy to catch chickens at night - they roost in trees, and you can actualyl just swoop them up in your arms because they are kind of asleep

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good luck. [​IMG]

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!! Hope you get it figured out!! [​IMG]

6. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]. You may also try posting a "found" poster at the local feed store or just calling them. Chickens get eaten by predators so often, the owner probably has already written them off as a coyote's dinner. But if they happen across a flyer, I am sure they would be tickled! Good luck!

7. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    In our area, once people find out you have chickens, they mysteriously drop off unwanted chickens in your yard. Sad, that they don't want them and that they don't take into account biosecurity. I wouldn't be surprised if no one comes forward to claim them.

The same thing happens with kittens. [​IMG]

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I'd given it a week and after you've tried to locate the owners I'd be thinking chicken dinner!

9. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

[​IMG]

10. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by