Help! Someone's stray or lost chickens are in my yard

smurrayesq

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 8, 2011
Hello! My name is Susan and I live on six acres in Pennsylvania. The other day, three chickens began to show up at my bird feeders. I think that they might be Rhode Island Reds and it appears that there is one rooster and two hens. I don't know if they were blown in by the recent storms, or have just wandered into my yard and go home somewhere to roost at night, although I don't know of any immediate neighbor owning chickens. I don't mind feeding them, but my husband is not a big fan of chickens, so I have no plans on building a coop to keep them. I guess my question is: What do I do? I've checked with immediate neighbors and no one has, or is missing chickens. The chickens keep their distance when I approach. How far would chickens wander? Maybe they live further away than I think. Is there a chicken rescue group? I have heard that it is very difficult for an inexperienced person to catch them. If I thought they would survive long term, I'd just leave them alone, but once winter comes, they would be goners.
Thanks for any advice offered.

Welcome!! It is quite possible they were broughtin by a storm. Where do you live? chickens canfend for themselves quite well, but they would love a supplementation such as you bird feeder. They are probably roosting in some nearby trees,a nd probably laying their eggs beneath them. If you put a box near where they wander, they might give you breakfast.
smile.png
Much more rewarding feeeding birds that give something back, IMO.
wink.png

As far as trying to locate their previous owners, I would put a notice up in town in several l=places, and maybe on craigslist. Tehy are easy to catch at night when they are roosting. Oh and fyi, if they don't have e perch to roost on, they will sit onthe ground at night.

Quote:
I would post them on here in the auction section as found birds and see if you get any takers who live nearby obviously after you have tried to find the owners
Also, it is easy to catch chickens at night - they roost in trees, and you can actualyl just swoop them up in your arms because they are kind of asleep

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
. You may also try posting a "found" poster at the local feed store or just calling them. Chickens get eaten by predators so often, the owner probably has already written them off as a coyote's dinner. But if they happen across a flyer, I am sure they would be tickled! Good luck!

In our area, once people find out you have chickens, they mysteriously drop off unwanted chickens in your yard. Sad, that they don't want them and that they don't take into account biosecurity. I wouldn't be surprised if no one comes forward to claim them.

The same thing happens with kittens.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom