Status
Not open for further replies.

momofchicks

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Kentucky
hit.gif
I went out to feed this morning and found a head in the middle of the run floor. The body was layed open on top of the nesting boxes, there were feathers everywhere inside and out. And the culprit left a rather large pile of poo. Maybe a red fox or something. Anyway, now what? How do I protect my babies? Okay, they have a house that is made of wood about 6' tall, 4' wide and then they have a coop area outside that is 10 x 10 x 10. I could make a door on the house, but we camp every other weekend someone would have to come over every night and morning to let them in and out. Could I put chicken wire across the whole floor? Can chickens walk on chicken wire, will it hurt their feet? Do you think the animal could be strong enough to break through the wire if we staple it to the bottom of the run and let it lay on the ground? Help me. I have to figure something out today, I'm sure he'll be back tonight. Here is a pic of the coop and house.

IMG_0131.jpg

posted on your other post. Is the run covered? Chicekn wire is not strong enough to hold away most overnight predators.

How many chickens?? If you only have a few, create a door and close it at night. When you go camping as long as you have 4sq/ft per chicken in the coop you could leave them shut in with enough food and water for the day, assuming that you have enough ventilation to keep it frmo getting to hot.....

If you could post pictures of the scat someone could probably identify your predator.
I'd leave it in the "Predator" section though.

I was going to take a picture of it, and then my husband threw it out. But, I'll try to explain it on the predator section. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom