Help! Something in her throat???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vivcat, Aug 18, 2010.

1. vivcat

vivcat New Egg

Aug 18, 2010
    Hey there!

I have a beautiful buff cochin and she is our favorite out of our group of girls. Alas, Rosie is making an awful noise. She just started making this terrible cawwing noise as she breaths in and out. She has her beak open and the noise is constant. She has no mucus or discharge. She is acting normally, she ate some meal worms I gave her, but not all....

The only other change the chickens have had, was the addition of 4 new girls from a friend who couldn't keep them anymore. They are all missing feathers but other than that seem to be in good health...

Any ideas on how to proceed? I have isolated her just in case it is viral....

Oh her crop feels fine and looks good.

Thanks in advance,
  2. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA a search on, "Gape Worm." Sounds like it could be that if her crop feels fine. Good luck!
  3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    How old is she?
  4. vivcat

vivcat New Egg

Aug 18, 2010
    Rosie is 4yrs old.

I'll check out the Gape worm thanks!
  5. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    respitory issues maybe? I have a serama that at 5am this morning I was feeding and heard him gasping for air and kinda cawing each exhale. Then I heard a few sneezes. He looks great though. Good color and acts fine. I looked in the throat cuz it sounded like something in there but nothing. I gave a shot of tylan this am and again at 3pm today and as of 7pm tonight no gasps but will keep on the meds a few days. Hope its not gape worm. There has been lots of junk going around this year. Hope yours gets better fast!
  6. vivcat

vivcat New Egg

Aug 18, 2010
    Good news, Rosie the cochin is not making any abnormal noises. My husband said she stopped around 2am... I thought the worst when I went to check on her this morning. She had busted out of her quarantine (old dog house) and was huddled up to her chicken run fence.

My prayer is that is was just something in her throat and she passed it and now every thing is fine... Am I hoping for too much? Do the symptoms of gape worm come and go? Hmmmm....

Thanks for the help! I'll post again on her status as the day/week continues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by