Help! Something is Wrong with Drumstick

srothove

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 5, 2011
My 1 1/2 year old Buff Orpington has been consistenly laying soft shelled eggs since her molt was over. Yes, she has free access to oyster shells. She also has a bald patch (think down to the skin - no chewing/ chewed off feathers) under her vent and a few missing feather around her neck. She has not been acting broody. She has lost some weight - but currently is eager for food/ treats. I don't notice parasites, but they may be on her. No one else in the coop has these symptoms. She is #2 on the pecking chain with a sweet demeanor with #1 being her best friend and no one messes with Drumstick or Stew or they get the Chicken Stew Beak of Terror. :) When I sit with them, there are no signs of pecking on her at all.

Her feed is Layena pellets. Her water is clean with an occasional splash of ACV. Her bedding is clean and her coop has adequate ventilation without drafts.

Otherwise, she looks pretty good. Eats well, is friendly.

What could be wrong with her?

Should I treat with Sevin (or something similar)? Should I be feeding her something else specific?

I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
Sunny

I can't imagine that a lice dust will help her form a hard shell. This is most likely a dietary issue. Do you know that she eats the oyster shell and the feed? The feathers sound like plucking form one in the flock. I have had the lowset hen be the worst feather plucker ever, even to the top hens. They may need some vitamins, you can put electrolyte solution in the water, may help.

I've read that infestations could open the door to other issues, hence the idea to dust the flock. I spend more time with the chickens than I would ever own up to (love the girls!) and don't notice any feather plucking issues.

Dietary issues is high on my suspect list. Some articles suggest feather eating in the case of protein deficiencies. Not sure if she actually eats the oyster shell. The container for the oyster shells has not been refilled once in the last six months for eight chickens. If I spread it out in the run they eat it.

What kind of electrolyte solution should I consider for the girls?

I have never had the chickens eat oyster shell until I took a hammer to it on concrete and pulverized it. I also feed their shells back to them with no preparation. This was my remedy for soft shells. I also increased their protein with their own eggs cooked and fed back to them and leftover meat.Finally, I have tried to be honest and determine if I overfeed snacks. They are usually healthy ones like bananas and peanuts, but if they fill up on that they won't eat what they really need--perhaps....
I went through a long spell where I found soft shelled eggs. Haven't seen any for awhile but have had a hen die so maybe it was her. Even if it was her it was a long time between the soft shelled eggs and her passing. I have 3 BO hens about 2 yrs old and one died recently and suddenly. Another looks ill now because she won't venture out or eat. However, looking her over she looks perfectly ok. I wonder if it is the breed. The eggs they lay are now rare but when they do they are enormous.
Good luck with your girl.

poultry drench is one and nutri something I get at the feed store. BOSS is black oil sunflower seeds , I give them that as a trea,t it is high in protein. Plucking is most fun at night on the roost so you may not see it, I'v seen mine do it at night. They just roost beside one another head to butt and the head one reaches over and plucks from the butt one! Unless you see bugs, I bet you have a plucker. I live in a cold winter climate. I have never dusted my hens or wormed them, per my vet not necessary in my area so don't just dust and worm becaues others do it, they may live in a warmer climate were bugs grow better and you may not

Back
Top Bottom