HELP Something is WRONG with my PIGEON

THANK YOU GUYS for responding so quickly and helping out I have zero clue about these infections diseases but through your help I am able to gain the knowledge needed for future emergencies like this one.

Went out in search for a vet who treats birds and luckily found one. He said that it's paramyxo virus, injections were given even handed us one syringe filled with antibiotics to in given tomorrow and said there is only 50% chance of survival.

Make sure that the bird keeps eating and drinking (tube feed if necessary) - vitamin supplementation may help. PMV in my experience has been a strange disease with some birds remaining asymptomatic while others become severely debilitated. Good luck with him and the other bird.

Now we have started the tube feed because he isn't able to eat own his own anymore and the vet gave injections to him. He said there's 50% chance of survival. Hoping for the best I just want him to get well quickly and survive

PMV & Paratyphoid (salmonella) have similar symptoms so it could be either. There are vaccines for both, but even so, no vaccine is 100%. When Enrofloxicin is available, it's good to keep powder or pill form, or Baytril injectable, on hand for such times, but that medicine is hard to find now.
I have inoculated AND given oral meds, because there is no way to really determine which illness the bird has for sure. I vaccinate so it's rare that it happens, yet it still can. When it happens, it is usually when conditions are stressful, such as drastic weather change (heat wave summer, freezing winter). Try to keep loft clean, but even so, it can still happen, a wild bird or mouse can bring it. If it happens, hopefully it's only a bird or 2, but if it is happening to several, you need to inoculate & treat Everyone asap. Most illnesses are spread via drinking water. All it takes is 1 mouse to get a drik from the pigeon water at night, and there you go. When it happens & a few birds are affected, I have brought the ones displaying symptoms indoors, set them up in their own cages & if necessary hand fed, so they weren't dealing with weather extremes or getting picked on while ill. Some pull through, some will always have a neck bending tick & won't be able to fly again, but some will do OK & be able to eat & hang in the loft, some will never be able to make it back into the loft as they have too many bent neck tick events, to be able to sucessfully eat along with everyone else & plus they get picked on, some just won't survive to make it through. I have 2 pigeons that pulled through this summer, they were just babies when I saw bent necks, as they scooted backwards in circles, like they couldn't get balance. I brought both in, set up in brooder, hand fed baby bird formula by feeding syringe, & gave Enrofloxicin. They're 6 mos old now. One also had gotten pecked on the head. He is fine, just has a bald spot, but he acts a little skittish & goofy, but no bent neck & he can fly. The other can walk & run, eat & survive in the loft but cannot fly & has a neck bending tick every so often. Both are in the senior & fancy section with only 20 birds total, so they won't have to fight for food. There are 3 others that don't fly in there, 2 with wing injuries & 1 old gal. So they have company & no one picks on anyone else in there. All I can say is, do your best, but be prepared, the bird may not make it, and if he does, he may be a special needs bird after this ordeal. Best of luck to you!

BTW, if no other birds are becoming ill, there is a chance this might be something else. I had a hawk fly into their wire, I saw it happen, hawk hit the wire mesh so he couldn't get in, but it sent my pigeons into a frenzy trying to get into the loft. One pigeon flew right smack into another pigeon & hit the side of the loft hard. He injured himself & was acting like this. If I hadn't seen it happen with my own eyes, I would've thought he had illness.

Last edited:
sorry for seeing this late. As others have said it could be paramyxovirus, but could be other things as well. Is it just holding the head like that, or doing a twisting motion? What do the droppings look like? is it able to eat on it's own? If it is paramyxovirus, then there really is no medicine for it as it's a virus and has to pass on it's own... however it's very contagious and needs to be kept isolated from any other birds. Plus you should wash your hands as well to keep any possible chances of transmission down ( I also seem to remember something about it possibly causing pink eye or conjuctivitis in people... don't hold me on that part though, as it's just something that I seem to have in my memory). Supportive care is about all you can do for PMV, and they don't always recover to a normal state even if they do recover.

Hey Everyone,
I am very grateful to each one of you for being in touch and I'm sorry for not being online I couldn't update u guys bcz the very next day we kept taking Pearl to the vet to keep up to date with his condition.

After everything pearl couldn't make it. It's been 4 days since he passed away after the vet injected a high dose of something for energy.. It was tough for my father to let go of his precious pigeon so soon.. The female pigeon was alone so we got a male pigeon for her.

Hey Everyone,
I am very grateful to each one of you for being in touch and I'm sorry for not being online I couldn't update u guys bcz the very next day we kept taking Pearl to the vet to keep up to date with his condition.

After everything pearl couldn't make it. It's been 4 days since he passed away after the vet injected a high dose of something for energy.. It was tough for my father to let go of his precious pigeon so soon.. The female pigeon was alone so we got a male pigeon for her.
I am very sorry about Pearl :hugs .

Good luck with your new pigeon! :)

Hey Everyone,

I'm sorry about Pearl :(
Hopefully all will go well with the new male.

Back
Top Bottom