HELP! Something killed 20 of my hens in one night!!!

>> but the entire coop being massacred just leaves me feeling very unsettled and uncomfortable.

We hear you loud and clear.
Good luck with that camera. That's about the best way to figure out what actually did this. Without an actual sighting or some video evidence, even an expert can't be sure.

You can order a super game cam from amazon for like 50 bucks. It takes really good video and is motion activated. We have one and it is really helpful. We have coyotes, bear and fox on our property and the neighbors dog too.

It was most likely a mink.Mink are known to kill animals for the fun of it as shown in your pictures.This coming from a 15 year trapper.

I read the predator thread a lot before I got my chickens and decided to build my entire pen using hardware cloth...even on the top. We have had nothing get in to them but that doesn't help if you forget to close them in. I feel bad for you. Sometimes I panic and run out to make sure I have closed them up! It really doesn't matter what got them as it could be the same problem later or it could be another predator. I just planned for them all....except bears. If a bear comes along I will have a problem. good luck

Around here, if that were to happen, I would suspect a Raccoon. They like to kill all they can find and then start to take the bodies back to their 'hide'. So most likely either someone/something or daylight interrupted the removal of the rest of the dead birds. We have had two occurrences like this in the valley in the past week. One was fancy pheasants and the other chickens, 30 or so each time, with just a few missing. In my experience your photo looks like a coon got them.

Other varmints as noted prior can and will kill all they find, but the head and neck damage gives the nod to a Raccoon. I am so sorry for your loss, and that such a simple onetime error can lead to such heartache and personal trauma. I hope you get back on the horse so to speak, and rebuild your flock. They are such a joy to own and watch, I enjoy them immensely.

Anyway best to you as you go on from here, life is just hard at times.

Regards,

RJ

Most coons will kill every bird that moves, and eat or take just one. A Bobcat will take just one, and return daily for its next one, if they are not protected. If a Raccoon family,. young ones, they will take a least one apiece===and may come back before the next night or DAY! Trap them and never release!

Grizzly Bears eat the entire bird, lost 22 one night to a Griz Sow and 3 young ones. They had a feast. but the cubs played with them and left feathers. Older Bears eat everything they can swallow--leg bands and all! My houses are electrified a night all season, until the Bears are reported DENNED in the fall. Heartbreaking, but some young ones in a house that was not trashed, have given a new start of same bloodlines and now are PROTECTED==as well as possible!

Back
Top Bottom