Help! Something plucked my duck!

Keyamarie

Hatching
Sep 8, 2020
Yesterday something scared 8 of my ducklings (6-8 week old pekin) so badly they squeezed through my garden gate somehow and ended up in the cold pond. I lost one to hypothermia but was able to save the rest. I suspected a predator attack but couldn’t find signs of one other than my ducklings in the pond. After I treated them I went back out to discover one duckling was missing! I couldn’t find it anywhere! I went to check on the ducks again after dark to make sure they were handling the cold ok after the days trauma and the missing duckling was standing outside the run. However when I got it inside I could see that it’s whole back was plucked! I have two questions. First, what could have done something like this? And more importantly, what can I do to make this poor baby comfortable while it heals? I’m treating it with a wound spray but should I be keeping it covered or bandaged? There aren’t any deep wounds that I could see but her whole back is completely bald all the way up under her wings.

I do have a picture of the injury. Any idea what would do this without any bites or punctures? I’m glad there aren’t any but this has me baffled.

Attachments

• E5F05880-9BB8-4501-AB40-852CD82EA836.jpeg
    E5F05880-9BB8-4501-AB40-852CD82EA836.jpeg
    547.9 KB · Views: 15
I wouldn't be the one to ask what caused it, but, some of my birds have had these injuries before (caused by a goose). They tend to be stressed out the first day or two, but after that they start acting normal again. After a few weeks, she should start growing her feathers back. I wouldn't recommend bandaging, or applying anything to the area.

Back
Top Bottom