Help somthing is wrong whit my chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ncsiwolf, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Ncsiwolf

Ncsiwolf Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    Simi Valley, Ca
    Help my chicken is holding her head to the side.y kids said she run in to the chicken wire yesterday day. She eats and drinks ok. But walks a little of to the left and moves her head a little more wably as she walks. What can I do?

2. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Can you post pics? and also answer all the questions in the sticky post at the top of the page? That may help get you some reponses.

3. Ncsiwolf

Ncsiwolf Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2011
    Simi Valley, Ca
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. barred rock hen 5 monthe we thank do not know the weight
    2) What is the behavior, exactly she holding her head to the right and walks to the side. and is moving her head more
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? yesterday at 5pm
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. she run in to the chicken wire her head went though then got out and run off this is what my kids said
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. grower feed, corn, chicken skrach
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? let her rest
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? want to treat completely yourself
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. I will try
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use little coop chicken wire and porchs and hay

4. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    well - I am not sure, but if she caught her neck in the chicken wire and there are no cuts or gashes, she may have just sprained it? If you have a way to seperate her from the others like a dog crate or something, you might try that for a few days to let her rest without having to run around and you would be able to keep a closer eye on her.

I am not an expert but if no one else replies, that is what I would do. Hope she gets better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by