HELP! Squishy egg filled with blood

ChxLadyMary

Chirping
Apr 21, 2020
One of our chickens has been laying for a week or two and this afternoon she layed a squishy egg that was filled with blood. I’ve been giving them oyster shell with their food. What’s wrong?

Would be good to see pics.
There are several reasons for there to be blood in an egg.
Hopefully it was just a glitch and you'll never see it again.

I don't have pictures. We were too tempted to open it. It was completely blood filled but there was a normal yolk on the inside. Really squishy too. What are those reasons?

Most often blood in an egg is from a blood vessel breaking when the ova is released from the follicle. It's usually a small spot, but can be more than that on occasion.
More rare is an ova coming away with part of the follicle still surrounding the ova.

I think blood spots are explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:

Most often blood in an egg is from a blood vessel breaking when the ova is released from the follicle. It's usually a small spot, but can be more than that on occasion.
More rare is an ova coming away with part of the follicle still surrounding the ova.

I think blood spots are explained in this excellent video, which is worth watching regardless:
They were not spots, the egg was literally filled with blood. The egg whites was replaced with blood

Back
Top Bottom