help! suddenly blind chicken: updated, she didn't make it

Jerseyhen,

I am so sad to hear that your girl didn't make it - I sent you a response about my hen Mattie that went blind (in the hope that she may have had the same problem as Mattie) - so sorry to hear that your girl deteriorated - I still don't know why Mattie went blind - probably poisoned by something.

I wish I could say something to console you - you did all you could for her and I am just at a loss for words - these things happen and I suppose we will never know for why...

Best wishes

Suzie
hugs.gif

Hello. Sorry to hear about your gal. I had a very similar experience this past summer and thought I would share. One of our BO's, Goldie collapsed on the ground and was panting. I took her inside and placed her in a box and got her a dropper and gave her water. It didn't take me long to notice that she couldn't see out of either eye. I too thought maybe it was marek's or some other infectious disease. No, it wasn't. I believe what happened is she collapsed from heat exhaustion and because her body overheated it affected her optic nerve(s). It took me a very long time to train her to eat by sound. I would shake the food bowl in front of her and she would peck where she heard the food. I believe(someone correct me if I am wrong) that when a chicken gets overheated to the point of exhaustion, it can cause irreversible damage to their central nervous system. She ended up dropping dead one day about 2 mos after the initial incident. :( I am so sorry for your loss. Xx

Hello. Sorry to hear about your gal. I had a very similar experience this past summer and thought I would share. One of our BO's, Goldie collapsed on the ground and was panting. I took her inside and placed her in a box and got her a dropper and gave her water. It didn't take me long to notice that she couldn't see out of either eye. I too thought maybe it was marek's or some other infectious disease. No, it wasn't. I believe what happened is she collapsed from heat exhaustion and because her body overheated it affected her optic nerve(s). It took me a very long time to train her to eat by sound. I would shake the food bowl in front of her and she would peck where she heard the food. I believe(someone correct me if I am wrong) that when a chicken gets overheated to the point of exhaustion, it can cause irreversible damage to their central nervous system. She ended up dropping dead one day about 2 mos after the initial incident. :( I am so sorry for your loss. Xx

I'm glad you brought this up, it's def something to think about , and makes good sense.

I'm glad you brought this up, it's def something to think about , and makes good sense.

I live in northern nj and it was about 28 degrees on the day in question, so I don't think it was heat exhaustion
wink.png
, in fact, she was nearly a chickensickle when I picked her up that night, but thanks for the thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom