Help, super mean hen issue.

kloverdarling

Songster
9 Years
Dec 9, 2014
Virginia
So I have one hen in my flock that seems to be above even my rooster in the pecking order. I’ve noticed she picks feathers of some of the other birds, especially our rooster. Today I noticed she really injured another hen. We’re planning on building a tractor type run tomorrow to separate. Should I remove the injured hen to heal or should we be separating the mean hen?

I would take the mean hen out for sure, and if the injured hen has open wounds, I'd separate her too so none of the other one pick on her injuries.

Perhaps a few days of the mean hen being gone, the pecking order will be reset and she won't have the same attitude.

Do they have at least about 4 square feet per bird in the coop and 10-15 square feet per bird in the run? Sometimes overcrowding can make them anxious or stressed and bad behaviors start.

After doing some reading on other posts and such, we’re going to set up a space for the injured hen in the coop/run area and put the mean lady in the outside pen we build also. Cheers to a busy Sunday.

IMG_7214.jpeg
They have plenty of room, I have currently 1 rooster and 10 hens, probably add just a couple more but first dealing with this issue.

Back
Top Bottom