Help! Supplemental light didn't come on for 2 days... no eggs for over a week?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tioram, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Tioram

Tioram Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2014
    I have about a dozen layers. They range from Black Australorps, Buffs, Reds, EE's, Wellies, Golden Laced, and Barred rocks. We have used an incandescent rope light above the roost that is on a timer and it worked great last winter. We are in Central PA. We had 8 eggs and the next day we had zero. I looked all over the coop, the run, everywhere and nothing. The next morning as I got the kids ready for school, I noticed that the timer in the coop hadn't flipped the lights on. Come to find out that the timer had died. I immediately turned on the lights and then went and replaced the timer that very same day.

I have now been without eggs for over a week but I don't see an signs of a hard molt or anything. How long will it be until they start laying again? I'm not used to this and I miss having my eggs supplied every day! We save a lot of money on cereal and milk and of course it's better for my family to have eggs for breakfast.

They are getting a minimum of 14 hours of sunlight a day, with the exception of 2, maybe 3 days that the timer was out.

Thanks!!!!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How old are the hens? Have they ever molted before? In my experience, chicken often stop laying a few weeks before going into a hard molt. That may be what some of your hens are doing (simply because of age, seasonal changes, etc.), although I doubt they would all stop laying at once if that were the case. Still, I've never had birds stop laying just because their supplemental light didn't work for a few days--if it hadn't worked for longer, maybe, but not two days.

I would make sure the light keeps working and consider adjusting its timer so that they get around 15 hours of light. A increase in light should help trigger laying (this occurs naturally in the springtime). Also, check the birds for mites/lice, injuries, or other stressors and be sure that a predator hasn't been trying to get in. Stress from a wide range of factors, not just light, can easily cause birds to stop egg production.

If your hens aren't beginning to molt, I would expect egg production to start back up again within 2-3 weeks. Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by