Help: Swarm Of Bees Next To Chicks!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Griffin Nest, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    My 3 week old chicks are finally outside. But this morning, a HUGE swarm of bees decided to hang out in my backyard almost RIGHT next to the cage! They are not flying around much. They are just in one big clump. There are about 15 or 20 flying around the clump, but the clump looks to have about 5,000 bees in it. IT'S HUGE. We called someone to handle it, but they aren't coming soon.

WILL MY CHICKS BE OKAY?!?!?!? I also have a cage of button quail in the same area, but I'm too afraid to go outside! [​IMG] And the cages are HEAVY. I don't want my chicks to get swarmed over and die!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    They should be just fine. We actually have a bee hive right next to our chicken coop and we haven't had any issues.

That sounds like a swarm. If it is, they shouldn't stick around more than 48 hours in that place.

3. DancingHen

DancingHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Central Oregon Coast
    I once read somewhere that chickens are naturally immune to bee sting venom, and thus can eat bees in large quanities. They will probably be okay. Good luck.

4. LostMindPleaseFind

LostMindPleaseFind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Little Rock, AR
    Quote:As Green said. It is a swarm, and it will leave soon enough. The bees are searching for a new home. Don't let a Pest control company kill them. I work for one. Bees are needed in this world. See if in your area if anyone catches bees, they will use them for a new honey hive. [​IMG]

5. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    thanks guys!

Yes, the swarm left. Now there's only one or two bees leftover.

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    For those who don't know, honeybee swarms are very docile. They can be handled easily. The few bees you saw flying around were scouts out searching for a new home. If you find one try calling a local bee club to have a member come out to collect the swarm. I can guarantee they will come as quickly as possible.

7. Chicken Rustler

Chicken Rustler Grabs em n runs

Quote:You know it!!!! I have captured 7 swarms in the last 3 weeks. [​IMG] We also extract them from buildings, walls etc. Check with your local extension office they can probably put in touch with local beekeepers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by