Help! Sweet Brahama rooster limping and shaking!

ShiviBear

Songster
Sep 6, 2020
New Jersey
So, for the past week or so, I've noticed that my usually very sweet mild Brahama rooster brothers have been fighting.
I've been letting them do their thing but the fighting got much more violent yesterday.
I found the two of them covered in blood and mud, one seemingly worse then the other.

The both have a few cuts and scrapes, mainly on their combs and feet which I cleaned and put triple antibiotic on.

One rooster (Terrence) was very visibly limping and was much more dirty so I lightly washed him the best I could with Dr. Bronners unscented and brought him in my house overnight to dry hoping he would get better.

Today though, he is still limping and shivering on and off. And it's not whole body shivering, just his lower half. Sometimes he does not put weight on his leg for long stretches of time.

I have him in a small run within the big run with a few of his fave girls. He is eating, crowing, trying to romance the ladies but limping and shivering as well. He is still even trying to fight THROUGH the fence with his brother.
I believe his injury is mid foot but it's hard to tell.

My heart is breaking for him as he is obviously in pain. He really is a sweet boy.
Do not have access to a vet as of now.

What can I do for this guy?
He gets VERY stressed in my house, is even stressed being in the small run.

How do I figure out where his injury is?
I can only guess at how he got hurt, maybe he got knocked over and got his leg stuck? What can I even do if there is a break somewhere?

When they say when it rains it pours is a PERFECT description of my life at the moment.
20210327_112007.jpg

20210326_084230.jpg
20210327_093054.jpg

I am currently trying to figure out how to attach a video.

To attach a video you have to upload to another host, like youtube, and put the link here, then it can be seen.
How many hens do you have? How old are the boys? If they are fighting then you will have to separate them, or get rid of one. Some roo's will coexist with another, some will not. Hatchmates or not, it doesn't matter, males are going to compete for females. If you don't have enough females for them both to be happy it will be war, and sometimes hens get caught in the crossfire. I have two roo's, 6 years old and 4 years old, they don't fight. But I choose mine very carefully for that reason. I also have 24 hens.
I will attach a document that explains how to examine for a fracture and how to splint if needed. He may just have tweaked something and needs time and rest. Some fights can be truly nasty and injuries can be serious or even fatal in some cases.

Attachments

• Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
To attach a video you have to upload to another host, like youtube, and put the link here, then it can be seen.
How many hens do you have? How old are the boys? If they are fighting then you will have to separate them, or get rid of one. Some roo's will coexist with another, some will not. Hatchmates or not, it doesn't matter, males are going to compete for females. If you don't have enough females for them both to be happy it will be war, and sometimes hens get caught in the crossfire. I have two roo's, 6 years old and 4 years old, they don't fight. But I choose mine very carefully for that reason. I also have 24 hens.
I will attach a document that explains how to examine for a fracture and how to splint if needed. He may just have tweaked something and needs time and rest. Some fights can be truly nasty and injuries can be serious or even fatal in some cases.
I have 54 hens and 4 roosters so I think plenty of fluffy butts to go around. They've been living together in peace for 3 years! A scuffle here and there but nothing serious...
This though, was going to be a fight to death, I have no doubts about that. I did notice that the both their feet turned (extra) pink so I am guessing it's hormone related?

I do plan on re-homing the one that is limping, and am keeping him separated for the time being while I look for a home for him. They even try to fight THROUGH the fence.

I wonder if he is shaking because he is in pain?

Thank you kindly for your response and so so much for that invaluable document!

Back
Top Bottom