Help! swelling! bubbly! (going to kill her)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrazyChickensEverwhere, Jun 21, 2011.

1. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    I thought my hen had cocci because she was not eating and her poop was pink. But now really really runny. She isnt eating. I have her seperated in a cage right now. I picked her up to give her, her cocci medicine orally and a bunch of feathers fell out near her crop, I started to run my hands through and shehas whitish yellow swelling bubbles all over! and the feathers are just falling out. I dont see the other hens with the similar thing. Help shes weak and dieing!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    Ok. She has not eaten in three days so I force fed her (was not hard since shes weak) and she had scrambled egg, egg shell, kidney beans, babyfood, chex mix, chesse, sausage. all mixed together and she it went pretty well feeding her. I am planning on making her drink alittle in 1 hour.

3. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    With feathers just falling out reminded me of botulism but the bubbly skin?? They also typically have some paralysis with botulism---their neck and or legs too. I am not sure of what bubbly skin is (are the bubbles it fluid filled?) but my first guess is a bad bacteria or botulism. Is she the one to eat first or more than they others?

She also could have had a bad reaction to the medication and the bubbly skin is hives. I'd stop it and call an avian veterinarian as you'll need a quick remedy. I also would look to see if they can have antihistamines. [​IMG]

You should go back to emergencies and fill out the sticky--and a picture if you can to help us help you.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  4. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    Maybe it is a reaction. And the bubbles are filled with liquid. I will call a vet or someone who knows (do vets deal with chickens?) And she isnt the first to eat.

5. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    I want to give her the best death possible. My aunts friend needs to take insulin everday and she gave me a insulin pen, and I am going to overdoce her so she will just fall asleep. [​IMG]

6. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry this is happening to your hen. Would you be able to take her to a lab to figure out what was wrong with her? You'd hate to have this happen to any of your other hens.

Wishing you and your hen peace. [​IMG]

7. chi-chick

chi-chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    I agree, you need to take her to the state lab and have her necropised. i know it is likely something you don't want to do to her but that is better that having something bad wipe out all of your birds.

8. chi-chick

chi-chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Oh and giving the insulin might backfire and instead of what you expect, she may go into seizures long before anything else. So just be cautious. I am sorry that all of this is happening to you and your baby.

9. CrazyChickensEverwhere

Apr 8, 2011
    What do you mean state lab?

10. Turken Lover9847

Turken Lover9847 Chillin' With My Peeps

another way you could put hwer to sleep easily and with almost no struggle

I have had to euthanize a chicken before. We put her in a large pot with a lid on top of 4 bricks . Then we put in equal amounts of Vineager and Baking Soda . We wrapped her in a towel so she wouldn't struggle and in about 10 min. it was all over. I hope this helps . I am sorry you have to do this. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by