HELP! Switching Light sources

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigoakhunter, Dec 1, 2009.

1. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    I had gone from the original 250 watt red heat lamp for the chicks, to a 125 watt red lamp. ( and I admit I should have shut that off sooner, as girls are 13 weeks)....So I had finally got a timer to mount in coop , thinking I would start supplementing daylight, as our Michigan hours are currently around 9 1/2 hours. I mounted timer, changed bedding in coop and switched from red 125 watt to a daylight type 2o watt CFL that mimmicks a 75 watter. ( hoping my electric bill would come back in line)...

So I go out there to check on them after dark and instead of 11 girls on roost , one is up there with 10 on coop floor! Help! Will they cathc on in a few nights that they need to go to roost?
    I want to provide ample daylight for upcoming egg production as winter is pretty bleak here. So had read they needed white (swunlight type) light????

Any help will be appreciated. Should i give them a few days to adjust?

As always thanks for your input!!!

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    The white light is going to keep them up and moving around. If you have a timer, have it come on in the morning for a few hours, then shut off after daybreak. Make sure they have food and water in there for when they are up and about.

3. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    It will take them a few daysto 2 weeks to get into production, some slower.....
    as for going to roost, you may need a nightlight (very dim) to help them find their way until they adjust to darkness. Or go in about 5 mins after the light goes out and place them on the roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by