Help swollen foot possible bumble

Rosdez31

Songster
Jan 24, 2019
Washington state
I have a 2.5 year old broad breasted hen with a swollen foot. At first I thought she sprained her ankle on the ramp but the swelling isn't going down. I have been giving her electrolytes, aspirin, epsom salt soaks and iodine dips. She will stand on it and can walk. I don't see any open cuts or signs of staph but I can't get a look at the bottom of her foot without upsetting her. I realise she is a broad breasted please don't bother telling me to get a different turkey. Beyond that any ideas to help her? She really is the heart of my flock.

Here's pics

Attachments

• IMG_20210108_114159.jpg
    IMG_20210108_114159.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210108_114203.jpg
    IMG_20210108_114203.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 13
She might have bumble foot. Look and see the other foot in comparison. If she has it, I would soak her foot in some epsom salt, and then what we did was take a small, sharp tool and carefully try to cut into it and get the infected out. Soak, and then bandage. She might need to stay inside or im a separate crate where she can’t roost because she can infect the whole flock. Check them too. Hopefully she does better.

Thank you. She is so big diy surgery isn't an option I can try to find a vet to do it but how quickly does this tend to move? She is eating the foot doesn't seem hot. I work all day tomorrow and can't get it covered.

Back
Top Bottom