Help! Swollen Gizzard?

if im correct its their grop the thing where they store food,. mine are going thru that too i think thats what its called,. I called the vet here in town and she said it was okay and normal and not too worry. Its okay
smile.png
are they acting like chickens in a good mood and happy?? If they are sluggish then thats when you should worry...

Little chicks are feathered piggies. They will stuff their crops. If the crop is NOT swollen in the morning, that means the food was processed/digested/passed on.

If the crop is still swollen in the morning, then you have a problem. But it is VERY common for new chicken parents to think there's something wrong when it's only a full crop.

Ah, yes. The 1/2 of Dolly Parton syndrome. Right side of chest, hmmm? The first time I saw a full crop on one of my chicks, I thought it was a tumor. Thankfully, I came here and was reassured by experienced chicken folks.

A chicken's crop and its gizzard are actually two different body parts. Think of the crop sort of like a shopping bag, stuffed full of goodies for later use. The gizzard is one of the two parts of a chicken's stomach, where grit is stored to grind up bits of food into smaller, digestible bits.

I know when a crop is full and when it is empty. But my chick has something different. I think its crop has a lot of air in it. Its crop is bloated from the right side of the chest and down inbetween its legs staying on the right side and up to the base of the vent decreasing in size the whole way. Does anyone have an answer? Please HELP!

I know when a crop is full and when it is empty. But my chick has something different. I think its crop has a lot of air in it. Its crop is bloated from the right side of the chest and down inbetween its legs staying on the right side and up to the base of the vent decreasing in size the whole way. Does anyone have an answer? Please HELP!
Give your chicken 1 to 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar per one cup of water, massage crop area gently, dont feed chickens sweet food, cake or similar foods and you can give probiotic or unsweetened yogurt. The crop can sour when ph is off or doesnt empty completely.

Give your chicken 1 to 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar per one cup of water, massage crop area gently, dont feed chickens sweet food, cake or similar foods and you can give probiotic or unsweetened yogurt. The crop can sour when ph is off or doesnt empty completely.
That post was 7 years old... I bet the chicken is either fine or happily residing in birdie heaven :)

Back
Top Bottom