Help the Auburn Java: Project Eggs - 20+4

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by TurkeyMountainChickens, Apr 9, 2011.

1. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    **36 hour sale, ships Monday AM**

As you may have read in this months Backyard Poultry, the Auburn Java is being resurrected using hidden gene pools in Black Java populations. I had hoped to be a part of this process, but am moving and will have to give up my chickens!

I'd like to make sure this project continues, and to that end would like to share some eggs with others who would be interested in breeding Auburns.

My current flock was selected from many chicks for the best color/type. Because there is still much genetic variability, I am getting multiple types. In the item image, you can see chicks showing the white, pale, gray/auburn, and black/auburn colorations. My last hatch, 5 of 32 chicks were white or pale, the rest being gray or dark auburn.

The gray/auburn chicks feather out with the most auburn in their adult plumage. For best success, hatch many and cull to the best few birds.

My hens are also great producers, laying 5 or 6 large brown eggs each week. I love their personalities, too. They are great foragers and the roosters are the only breed I've kept where NOT ONE has gone after young children.

Please help restore this important historic breed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  2. lorad

lorad Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Edelstein, IL
    Where are your genetics from? Garfield Farms or elsewhere? My stock is from Garfield Farms and new genetics are always welcome:)
    Lora

3. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    My bird's come from Garfield farm stock, like Lyle Behl's original birds did. However, they aren't from him so may represent additional genetic diversity. I would hate to see this line be lost.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by