HELP!!!! The crows are stealing my eggs from my coop.

SunkissedChicks

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
I keep my coop open during the day for my girls to lay.
Today we saw a crow carrying an egg away, I gather it punctured the egg and then picked it up. I am frustrated and we have around 5 or 6 of them.
What should I do?

Keep your chickens enclosed, a crow will ALWAYS come back to the supply source. There's no scaring them away, even with a scarecrow.

Keep your chickens enclosed, a crow will ALWAYS come back to the supply source. There's no scaring them away, even with a scarecrow.
They are not hurting my birds, just stealing eggs and very happy about it.
My birds free range on 2 acres and have a deluxe coop that I leave open as they tend to like to lay at random times. I would not like to lock them down like that, they love being out in the yard.

If you don't want to close the birds up, then you have to accept that the crows will take your eggs, eat your poultry feed, and probably kill your young chicks.

It doesn't work to politely ask them to go away. They will get more cautious if you shoot at them, but it doesn't stop them. It just makes them sneakier.

One thing you can TRY but no guarantees is to cut a shower curtain liner up (heavy duty thick kind) into strips and nail it on the door. Train your chickens to come and go through the vinyl strips and maybe the crows will not come in.

Some have tried this with sparrows entering the coop:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/gallo-del-cielos-chicken-coop
scroll down more than midway to see strips in coop door of some material

Crows really are terrible pests...nice run & everything - I actually do the same thing. I googled it and someone made curtains(shredded fabric) in the entrance of each nesting box of their coop and said it worked.

Back
Top Bottom