1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! the feathers are flying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by frankenchick, Jul 6, 2007.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    What is wrong with my girls and boys?! Today when I came home, there were feathers everywhere in the pen and just about everyone has some bare spots :eek: I have had the older girls on layer mash for 2 days -- are they not getting enough protein, or something? Are they PMS-ing? Is the neighbor dog freaking them out by coming over and pooping in their coop? [she's in lockdown for that].

Should I paint everyone with wound-kote?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  2. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Bianca's down to ONE tail feather!!

3. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    check for parasites? Unless they are moulting but I wouldn't think they would be this time of year.......

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

You said the dog was getting in the coop......and pooing. Is there a chance the dog is plucking them? Why is the dog allowed in the coop? I definately would keep the dog out.....put some wound coat on them, and check for mites.

5. akcskye

akcskye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Another thing to consider, is that you say 'what's wrong with my girls and boys'?

So, I take it that you have Roo's, too?

If so, is there a possibility that there are some "turf wars" going on, and everyone is involved?

I only ask that because Billy, my roo, did bald some of my ladies at the base of their tails when he'd mount them...

I know my example is not turf wars...but it's something to consider.

6. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    could also be that their cramped up and cranky. try hanging a head of cabage about 18 inches off the ground in their run. if their bored this will give them something to be besides pick on each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by