Help the newbie.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Red Fan, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Red Fan

Red Fan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2007
    Ohio
    Any idea what breed she is? I call her Henrietta. A friend of mine gave her to me when I realized that one of the young pullets I purchased to produce eggs had the wrong plumbing for that purpose. She also laid the biggest chicken egg I've ever seen. I took some online advise and stuffed her parts back inside, applied a little Preparation H and kept her in the dark for a few days. She's given me a normal size egg every day since (two months worth.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    She is a black sexlink. I have 2 of them. [​IMG]

3. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Black Sex Link.

She looks EXACTLY like my BSL, Hershey. They could be long lost twins.

[​IMG]

4. Red Fan

Red Fan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2007
    Ohio
    Thank you. Five of her eggs should hatch tomorrow. This is my first hatch and I was discussing it in the incubation section. I bred her to a Rhode Island Red (I'm pretty sure.)

[​IMG]

One of her eggs pipped today and I heard chirping all day. I'm pretty excited.

5. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Congrats!

6. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    This is my first flock and I am so excited! My family and I are learning so much. A friend told us black sex links were a good choice. Our only option locally was what they called Black Star sex links. Is this the same thing? I have spent hours and hours researching on-line and have not been able to answer that ? yet!! You all seem so smart, boy do I have some learning to do!![​IMG] Thank you for all the great info you have given me so far!![​IMG]

7. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I'm pretty sure they are the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by