Help, the nicest neighbors in the world are feeding my chickens...

People on BYC complain all the time about people who don't keep their dogs on their own property. Well, how about the chickens??

They are YOUR chickens, they ought to be on YOUR land -- not your neighbors'. Take responsibility for your birds, and that'll solve the problem about where they roost at night.

Im glad to hear someone say this. I'm with the doc on this one. Chickens should not be alllowed to just wander, helter skelter. They should be controlled.

Imagine we were talking cows here. Would you condone them wandering all over the place, in your neighbors yard, and so on?

All this warm and fuzzy stuff about them being "free-spirited, free-ranging babies" is hoo-doo. There is a vast difference between foraging and roaming, "free-range" all over the place. These two concepts are far too often confused.
The one implies a controlled practice, the other a cavalier approach.

Lets face it; these are livestock birds we have made into pets. As such, chickens do best when they have structure and someone keeping an eye on them. They serve you better this way, as they should, and they in turn receive better stewardship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Find some baby chicks and give them thier own!
wink.png

I disagree with Amazon & Elderoo on this one. Yes, the chickens are your responsibilty
but if you neighbor obviously likes them and doesn't mind them on their property I
see no problem with this. My chickens range about 100' into my neighbors woods/
wetlands. He doesn't mind and sits up on the hill watching them.

Be thankful for the neighbors you have. Next time you see them tell them you feel
lucky to have them as neighbors. Tell them about a few stories on bad neighbors
you can read here. Then tell them about the problems you have at night getting them
into the coop. It will work itself out.

I agree with masschix. Ask them to take the scraps with them and walk your girls home and put them to bed. OR tell them you don't mind them feeding them scraps, but would they please give them the scraps only in your yard. That you want to get your chickens to learn to stay in your yard for fear of predetors. Of course, do all this in a nice manner.
The suggestion of giving them their own chickens is good, but I'd be sure to ask them first if they'd want their own.

I agree with Chickaroo. They may want all the advantages of chickens--playing with them, watching them and feeding them treats--without all the disadvantages--buying feed, building a coop, cleaning up poop, etc. I'm sure you will handle this with diplomacy and tact and everyone will win.
smile.png

Susan

You SHOULD be glad for your neighbors - they are gems. Here were your words:

but I think my girls love their food scraps more then their chicken food? They are hanging out a bit too much on their property next door. They (the neighbors) don't mind, but the problem is getting them locked up at night. We have coyotes who will track them down at night if I don;t lock them in the coop.

You are as concerned for your birds as anything. It shouldn't be your neighbors job to care for them. Even if they are unwitting accomplices. They do sound like dear people and you should relieve them of the job. That would really be the best way to treat your good neighbors.

I like the idea of gifting them with some chickens of their own - that's cool. Then you put yours under yard arrest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chickaroo! :

I agree with masschix. Ask them to take the scraps with them and walk your girls home and put them to bed. OR tell them you don't mind them feeding them scraps, but would they please give them the scraps only in your yard. That you want to get your chickens to learn to stay in your yard for fear of predetors. Of course, do all this in a nice manner.
The suggestion of giving them their own chickens is good, but I'd be sure to ask them first if they'd want their own.

Yes, this is what I'm going to do. Unless I pen them in, they will cruise. As I mentioned, my neighbors love them, their toddler loves them and they are getting some pretty
yummy treats no doubt. Being new to chcickens my first
instinct was to tell them to squirt them with the hose away and not to feed them. When I said this, they said, 'Oh, but we love that they hang out and visit." So, I figured, well....ok.
hmm.png

They are lovely people and I would not want to hurt their feelings (seeing how the neighbors before them were so mean and cankerous they would not even say hello to my toddler if she waved). I will explain that they are welcome to give scraps, but only in our chcicken *yard* (short walk from their back door). The funny part is they will be moving soon (they rent) and bought their own house, and when I mentioned to the owners of the property, also, again, to shoo them away or give them a spray with the hose, the landlords said, "Well, we don't want people to rent here if they don't like CHICKENS!"

Anyway, thanks for all the info.​

Quote:
Haha... that reminded me of my old place. I lived in a little house right between a 250 acre organic farm and a game preserve... It was great. The farmer and I were good friends and I would often wake up to this in my driveway...

I loved it! Haha! I'd just give my neighbor a call and he'd call them and they'd come running home... haha!!

Back
Top Bottom