Help, the nicest neighbors in the world are feeding my chickens...

chicamama

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Topanga Ca
and now, the hens (6 months) have started to take up residence on their patio! Ok, I love my neighbors and they love my ladies, but I think my girls love their food scraps more then their chcicken food? They are hanging out a bit too much on their property next door. They (the neighbors) don't mind, but the problem is getting them locked up at night. We have coyotes who will track them down at night if I don;t lock them in the coop. So, will telling my neighbors not to feed them help? Should I take away their feeding tray and hand feed them (spread the feed out) in the am and pm (no free feed all day?). Will that help getting them home? Need suggestions??
hmm.png

Last edited:
Honestly, you should ask your neighbor to walk them over every night with a handful of scraps. Maybe after a few nights of it, they may decide that they don't like putting them to bed and will hopefully stop feeding them so much. You have a tough situation....on one hand you have wonderful neighbors who have accepted your chickens, but on the other hand you have over caring neighbors taking over your chickens. Good luck! Hopefully someone else will have better advice for you!!!!!

Quote:
No fences to prevent chciken infilteration.
roll.png

also, I would hate to keep them locked up 24/7

Going have a talk.

It sounds like the neighbor needs her own chickens! Although that may not keep your chickens home. It is very nice to have a neighbor who likes them, but I would be upset if "my girls" didn't come home too. Good luck to you.
big_smile.png

Maybe try telling the neighbors not to feed them after say 3 or 4 in the afternoon if there's no food they will get bord and come home if that don't work fence them in.

Yep - I was going to say the same thing - ask they not give any treats at least a few hours before sundown. that way you can bribe them back home with some other treats when it's time for bed.

First of all you just explain that if you dont get them up at night they will not be there for breakfast. They will understand. Let the neighbors help you get them up a few nights. I have one neighbor thats like you have one of the best people on earth.
old.gif
Then I have.....(i am not going to waste my time describing them):thun Keep these nice neighbors whatever you do. You might want to give them a few chicks later.

Back
Top Bottom