My Chickens are LOUD!!!

kcasey444

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2023
I have 2 RIR and 2 production reds that are sooo loud and squawk for around 3-4 hours daily!!!! They are between 28 and 35 weeks old approximatly and have been laying for about a month. I’ve tried treats, toys, fresh water and food daily, snacks, and even letting them free range for a few hours and nothing keeps them quiet! Help!!! Before my neighbors start getting mad!

Sounds like the egg song, if you can post a video of it, it might answer the question.
If it's the egg song, there is no way to stop that (I realize 'song' is a matter of opinion!). Some birds only start after the egg is laid, some will sing for a while before they lay and then again for a while after. Some carry on for quite a while, and it's really common for others to join in on the celebration. It's very normal. It's an egg party!

I have 2 RIR and 2 production reds that are sooo loud and squawk for around 3-4 hours daily!!!! They are between 28 and 35 weeks old approximatly and have been laying for about a month. I’ve tried treats, toys, fresh water and food daily, snacks, and even letting them free range for a few hours and nothing keeps them quiet! Help!!! Before my neighbors start getting mad!
Yeah, mine do the same. And when it happens, it's always when my hen is laying. Sounds like an egg song to me!

Pray for them to go broody. In the meantime, try to treat them when they are quiet. My frizzle carries on for 40mins sometimes. I usually send the dog down to distract her with a game of chase lol

I’ve tried treats, toys, fresh water and food daily, snacks, and even letting them free range for a few hours and nothing keeps them quiet!
You're rewarding the noise by giving attention and food.
Not a good idea.
All chickens can make a lot of noise, some more than others, you can't really change it.

Healthy chickens make a lot of noise. I like noisy chickens but I live in the country so nobody is bothered. You really can't do anything to/for the chicken but you may want to think about noise dampening devices keep the noise away from your neighbors- trees and a solid fence come to mind.

I have 2 black australorps and only one of them is my squawker. It’s beyond annoying! The one will lay eggs in complete silence and the other one will only squawk when her sister is laying! It’s the weirdest thing. She won’t make noise when she lays but she will scream at the top of her lungs while her sister does. Otherwise they are completely quiet so it’s definitely infuriating when you have one or 2 hens that like to get rowdy for no apparent reason

I have 2 black australorps and only one of them is my squawker. It’s beyond annoying! The one will lay eggs in complete silence and the other one will only squawk when her sister is laying! It’s the weirdest thing. She won’t make noise when she lays but she will scream at the top of her lungs while her sister does. Otherwise they are completely quiet so it’s definitely infuriating when you have one or 2 hens that like to get rowdy for no apparent reason
Sorry to laugh. I only do so because I have a noisy frizzle who screeches because she doesn't want to be in the nest alone! She runs around rounding up her two now-adult daughters to accompany her, but they are over it and will actually hide from her, or so it seems lol! If she goes for too long I send the dog out to accompany her lol

edit: my dog is is fully trained and will walk slowly behind the chicken until she reaches her destination. This doesn't happen every day, thank goodness. You could also try feeding them before they get to the noisy part of the day?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom