Help, the nicest neighbors in the world are feeding my chickens...

I'm afraid you're going to have to shoot your neighbors. Pests like that should be dealt with swiftly and with no remorse.

Quote:
I fear this thread may be going down the wrong road here, just like that cow.
Oh heck Buff, you just made me run off the road as I read that while sitting in traffic.
lol.png

I could be that neighbor-- only it is YOUR blasted ducks that refuse to go back home--PLEASE have that talk again asking them to feed them in a desginated spot-- I am trying this-- feeding the ducks on their side of the fence ( it isn't working they eat there and come on over and hunker down all day in the yard
roll.png

It is my fault I DID start it by feeding them. They were so cute-- so harmless.Like TRIBBLES!!!!!!

Give your neighbors a bucket or basket to put scraps into and then invite them over to feed the chickens in your yard or coop. The suggestion about feeding earlier in the morning is a good one too.

Other than that, you really can't make them stop throwing food onto their backporch.

-Kim

Quote:
Agreed. Maybe you could get her started with her own flock, and you could co-obsess!
lol.png

I like the other idea about just asking her not to feed them after 3 or 4 pm. That way, she can still enjoy them, but they will come home at a good time to be safe.

They are moving so I doubt they will do chickens (yet) but I see them in their future.
wink.png

However, we're going to have our little chicken *talk* this week (if not today). I did:

a. collect some yummy scraps (per suggestions in the feeding thread) and
b. bought a bright BLUE *treat* bucket to catch their eyes.

I will talk with them about feeding in my yard only or, no food past lunch time. PERIOD.

It is nice to have wonderful neighbors, but I now can see that by allowing them to feed the chickens, they have attracted them and it's too dangerous in the long run for the chickens to hang out there waiting for *dinner*.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I was able to grab a little bit from all of you and put a plan together.

Now, if they want to cook my family dinner everynight I'm ok with that!

If you're concerned about your chickens eating too many scraps and not enough of their real food you might mention that as well. Tell them, very diplomatically, that they HAVE to eat their balanced food, and if they are eating nothing but scraps all day they won't eat what they need to eat. Speaking of scraps, what scraps can u give to chickens??? Never really thought about it.....Just tell them to give scraps at one time of the day, like in the morning or lunchtime, then quit so the chickens will come home. Just an idea!!!

Back
Top Bottom