Help- the raccoons are eating my barn!

Mandyroo

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 30, 2010
NW Connecticut hills!
Hi all:
Put out a trail camera and found out my predator last week was a raccoon. Turns out he got on top of the covered outdoor run, which is attached to the barn, pried away the chain link fence which was stapled to the side of the barn, dropped down and in, and grabbed one of my girlsL
After that, I reinforced my outdoor run, and have been closing them in at night by barricading the door. But- the little bugger is clawing away at the wood on the walls of the barn…in 2 different spots!!! The first spot I noticed is against the wall where the nest boxes are (on the inside wall). Now he’s started another area, down at the bottom near the chicken door. Are raccoons really that desperate that they’ll eat wood to get to a chicken???
I guess my only option left is to relocate him with a havahart trap. Problem is, we also feed the deer in the woods behind the house, and have seen about a dozen raccoons feeding there also, so this may be too big a project.
Any ideas on how to prevent them from eating my barn, short of covering it with aluminum siding?

Don't relocate for him to be a problem for someone else. Trap and Cull, they will keep digging or tearing until they get what they want. They are Smart critters and will teach the rest where the easy meal is and once they get a taste they will not stop. You can try electric fence, but will have to put it in several locations up the fence. They will also drop from above if there are other places to climb up and drop down on the run or coop.

Good Luck

you both confirmed what I assumed would be the only answer that made sense...hate to do it but I'm not feeding my flock to provide dinner for a bunch of raccoons!

Thanks all

They are that desperate this time of year for some extra food because they semi hibernate in cooler climates. I have been battling a HUGE one myself although he hasn't managed to get into my barn yet. He has flattened a bunch of fencing and actually chewed through some 1/2 hardware cloth.

If we can ever catch the one trying to get into our barn, he is going to get a .22 bullet between the eyes.

I'm sorry you're having raccoon troubles. To be 100% honest, I have to admit that the reason I entered this thread was because I misread it and I thought it said:

Help - the raccoons are eating my brain!

Of course that was a rather alarming title, so I simply had to come take a look at what on earth was going on.
roll.png

(I sincerely hope you get your coon problem solved in short order!)

I'm sorry you're having raccoon troubles. To be 100% honest, I have to admit that the reason I entered this thread was because I misread it and I thought it said:

Help - the raccoons are eating my brain!

Of course that was a rather alarming title, so I simply had to come take a look at what on earth was going on.
roll.png

(I sincerely hope you get your coon problem solved in short order!)

So funny
big_smile.png
also a great movie idea and title.
lol.png

Edited: OP, sorry about your raccoon problem.
sad.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom