Help! The Yellow Jackets are Coming~~

WE usually have the same problem from spring till the beginning of cold season again. What we do is we get a 2 X 4 that is at least 3 feet long and have batting practice. Our bigest problem is with wasps. The black and red ones. The red ones are very aggresive.

Quote:
My brother was stung and nearly died. That is how he found out that he was allergic.

That's why a couple of my neighbors ask me for help. Nothing to fool with.

Years ago I read that it is theorized that lots of car accidents are caused by bees getting into moving cars and the drivers are freaking. So I always kinda thought that getting stung must be like getting stabbed by a butcher knife, really really really horrible. The first time I was stung, By the time I realized what was going on I just watched thinking "this isn't so bad". Then when I got swarmed building the fence last year I didn't even walk away at first. It wasn't until they started crawling under my teeshirt that I moved away.

Imp

Quote:
I will have to give this a try. Last year we had 3 nests, one of which was inside our back yard fence. I found 2 of the 3 nest the hard way. I left them alone bc the 2 away from the house did not pose a threat and the one in the fence is where the chickens roam and didn't want to use any fuel or chemicals. Our girls did make short work of a nest of wasps, it was like they were eating grapes off of a vine mmmm mmmm mmmmm tasty. The girls would walk all over the yellow jacket nest but never seemed to eat any of them and the yellow jackets never got very upset with them.
hu.gif

Then there is the great Oklahoma Cicada Killer. Poor hubby unearthed one on his mower the first summer we were here. It chased him down and stung him on the cheek and left a hole the size of a pencil lead! He looks out for them now!

Stings never used to bother me, until I met this guy:

3342293981_15221f176c_o.jpg

They don't call them cow killers for nothing. It's a kind of wingless wasp. When I got stung I wanted to die. No hyperbole. I wanted out. Yellow jackets are bad if they get you more than once, but they're compared to one sting from these little demon spawn b@$t@rd$.

Mark

We always called those just "cow ants" and were told not to mess with them. I didn't realize they'd sting that bad. They do have the warning stripes, though. haha

I'm so glad I live in the relatively "less nasty bugs" Pacific North West. You can keep your bugs to yourself-thank you very much.
hide.gif

Imp- The nastiest bug in my yard is an earwig

First my chickens eat every wasp they can find. Don't have any problem with it.
Second the inground wasp are terrible and the red and stripped ones that build paper nest here are definitely aggressive.
For the inground ones an old timer told me to put wet cat food in them late in the evening and the skunks would get rid of them. It worked but now all the skunks are gone here. The neighbor killed them all. Well, all except an absolutely huge one that comes by here at night in the summer. Whew! he stinks. Now which is worse? wasp or skunks? If your not a chicken the wasp are worse. ,My hens are closed up at night so I'll take the skunk for now. Jean

Quote:
My brother was stung and nearly died. That is how he found out that he was allergic.

We always thought the same about getting stung. Not so bad. Told the kids the same thing. So when my youngest son got stung and I got a call at work to let me know and it was taken care of and everything was fine. Until I got the second call 10 minutes later that was the side of his face was swelling up and his eye was almost swelled shut, and he was stung on his side near his ribs. We found out bee stings aren't anything to mess with. I found the yellow jacket nest and sprayed it with wasp spay. It didn't get rid of all of it so I lit the nest on fire and burned them out. That worked and we haven't had a nest there sense. We keep an eye on places where nest might get built and knock them down or use wasp spray if needed.

I bought some of those yellow jacket traps at Wal-mart to try. I put 2 up, because some were around my little garden and I used to be allergic until I took 5 years of shots! (I still carry an epi-pen , just in case the test were wrong!)
Anyway I caught a bunch in the two traps I put up, the other was near my horses trough. Didn't notice any after I put the bags up. Bags filled up.
I would think you could try SEVIN Dust possibly and pour that down the holes. I have heard about flooding the holes at night, if they are within reach of a hole.
I also use WASP spray the kind that shoots 25 feet or more if I find wasp nests, in my barn or areas that are dangerous for me.
I get too, because it's me or them
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom