HELP!!! There's something wrong with my rooster!!!!!

Silkielove102

Chirping
Jan 21, 2020
I don't know what wrong with this bird. S o I noticed this on Monday, but didn't think much til now. So I just brought him in cause he wasn't eating or drinking. I gave him Medicated feed and electrolytes. He'd eat some feed, but would'nt drink any water. I gave him medicated feed for coccidiosis, but he pooped and there was no blood. I gave him electrolytes, so it would give him energy. AND ALMOST ALWAYS, it makes them feel better. But he won't drink it. His tail and wings are drooped to the ground. HELP!

20200228_192421(0).jpg
20200228_192421(0).jpg
20200228_192421(0).jpg

I just woke him up, but he doesn't look right.

Hi there. I understand your concern and you obviously have the best of intentions for your little guy.
If he is not a fresh chick it is best not to administer medicated feed...especially if you suspect he is already sick. This is strictly intended for early stages of a healthy chicks life to encourage immunity. It is not going to help him if he is sick and can in fact be counter productive.
If you have researched and suspect coccidia and have a vet available they can diagnose and give you antibiotics to treat your flock. You have done the right thing to separate him and give electrolytes.
I would continue to monitor him closely and if a vet is not an option there are several home treatments you can start to work on. He needs nutrition, his immunity boosted, warmth, and to have the coccidia challenged...if this is what you believe he has. Medicated water, palatable nutrient dense food such as corn meal porridge, oatmeal, meal worm, fish, vitamin water. Fresh garlic and broad spectrum probiotics are effective tools. He will need to eat frequently. Heat lamp. Frequently changed bedding.
Chaga tea to challenge the coccidia and increase appetite, reduce inflammation, protect his delicate guts, and induce a system wide anti viral environment.
These are the protocols I follow.
I also use apple cider vinegar with the mother.
Boost immunity any way you have available. If you are feeding grains start fermenting them to maximize nutritional availability.
Others will also be along with their great advice.
Stay calm. He will benefit from your peace and love. And of course, say your prayers.

Sorry about your rooster. How old is he and how long have you had him? Have you added any new birds recently? I would try dipping his beak into the electrolyte water for a second and let him swallow, and repeat to get some fluids into him. Drooping wings may be a sign of dehydration, coccidiosis, or even something worse such as Mareks disease. If he will eat, mix some feed in a small bowl with a lot of water, and offer that to him. Sprinkle a few crumbles on top to get him interested. Is he warm? I would bring him inside for warmth in a basket to watch him. How are his poops? If you think he is suffering from coccidiosis, I would get some liquid Corid (amprolium, and give him 1/4 tsp twice a day, and add it to his water 1/2 tsp per quart or liter. Get him drinking.

Hi there. I understand your concern and you obviously have the best of intentions for your little guy.
If he is not a fresh chick it is best not to administer medicated feed...especially if you suspect he is already sick. This is strictly intended for early stages of a healthy chicks life to encourage immunity. It is not going to help him if he is sick and can in fact be counter productive.
If you have researched and suspect coccidia and have a vet available they can diagnose and give you antibiotics to treat your flock. You have done the right thing to separate him and give electrolytes.
I would continue to monitor him closely and if a vet is not an option there are several home treatments you can start to work on. He needs nutrition, his immunity boosted, warmth, and to have the coccidia challenged...if this is what you believe he has. Medicated water, palatable nutrient dense food such as corn meal porridge, oatmeal, meal worm, fish, vitamin water. Fresh garlic and broad spectrum probiotics are effective tools. He will need to eat frequently. Heat lamp. Frequently changed bedding.
Chaga tea to challenge the coccidia and increase appetite, reduce inflammation, protect his delicate guts, and induce a system wide anti viral environment.
These are the protocols I follow.
I also use apple cider vinegar with the mother.
Boost immunity any way you have available. If you are feeding grains start fermenting them to maximize nutritional availability.
Others will also be along with their great advice.
Stay calm. He will benefit from your peace and love. And of course, say your prayers.
Thank you!! this is so helpful. I usually give sick birds medicated feed, it always helps. but i think i'll try to use the heat lamp. i'll update tomorrow on his health.

Sorry about your rooster. How old is he and how long have you had him? Have you added any new birds recently? I would try dipping his beak into the electrolyte water for a second and let him swallow, and repeat to get some fluids into him. Drooping wings may be a sign of dehydration, coccidiosis, or even something worse such as Mareks disease. If he will eat, mix some feed in a small bowl with a lot of water, and offer that to him. Sprinkle a few crumbles on top to get him interested. Is he warm? I would bring him inside for warmth in a basket to watch him. How are his poops? If you think he is suffering from coccidiosis, I would get some liquid Corid (amprolium, and give him 1/4 tsp twice a day, and add it to his water 1/2 tsp per quart or liter. Get him drinking.
He is over a year, i'm guessing. I got him from a sale barn in September 2019. No I have not got new birds lately, but will be getting a pair next week. I have dipped his beak once already. His poop is a good sign i think, no blood atleast and its not runny. I can send a picture of his poop if you want.

Back
Top Bottom