help these horses!! this is crazy!! read this ad!

shadowpaints

Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
http://idahofalls.americanclassifieds.com/classifieds/herd-liquidation-2-year-old-yearlings-pairs-and-406624957.html

and
copied and pasted just incase the ad is deleted...

HERD LIQUIDATION, 2 year old yearlings, pairs and brood mares, yearlings and 2 year olds $300 or 2 for $500, pairs $400. Herd sire Line bred, 3 bars, Moon Deck, Easy Jet, Mucho Leo, Camptown Boy. Meat horses, $250, can be killed on site. All must go.
Back to Search Results Login To Save Ad Email Ad Print Ad Report Ad
This ad is running in:
Idaho Falls-Pocatello, ID - Thrifty Nickel

i did remove phone #

An old worn out horse, or lame, or otherwise useless horse used to have value. $200-$400 value. Now to some folks, that ain't much, but if you are the owner of that horse you can no longer ride or use, it is something to think about. Not everybody can keep a pasture full of pets. Then the "do-gooders" closed down the slaughter houses. Immediately the horse world was rocked by prices plunging to zero.

what do you do with a useless horse? My farrier told me it is now illegal to shoot your own horse to put it down because it is "cruel". So you must pay the vet $$$$$$ to euthanize the horse. Oh wait, did I mention you can't let it rot, use it for coyote bait or feed the buzzards on your own property because it is now full of posions and must be "properly" disposed of? In addition of paying the vet, now you must pay the land fill $200-$300 to take it.

Scenario: Hmmmm........Ol' Bessie is lame, can't ride her, gotta feed her another 5-10 years and I just lost my job. I don't have the $500 to euthanize her and have her disposed of and nobody wants her, so what to do? 1. let her starve. 2. open the gate and turn her out.

No matter how it goes down, Ol' Bessie is just as doomed as if she was on a trailer going to the slaughter house. There are no winners here.

And some of those rescues are worse hells than any slaughter houses. I'll probably get in trouble for that statement, but you gotta admit some real wacko hoarders collect animals of all kinds to save them and in so doing, overload themselves so that they turn out to be a worse fate than the poor animal was in to start with.

I have 3 horses, 1 mule and 1 donkey. 2 of my horses are 22 and 24 years old. They will die a natural death with me. I would never let them go. Ever. I am fortunate in that I can have my luxury of my horses, who are pretty much a hole in my pocket I dump money in. This past week, I worked for the farrier and chicken feed, and equine senior for one of my older horses. (the other old horse is roly-poly fat). Oh, and a new cell phone. Back to work tomorrow......sigh......

Not everyone can afford to feed a horse they can no longer use. In this economy, not everyone can afford the horses they already have. The problem is, nobody else wants them either. Reality sucks.

isnt that illegal to sell horses as meat horses in the US and to slaughter them. i thought they had to be shipped to mexico and canada! but thats tirrible!!!

I thought they had outlawed the slaughter of horses for meat in the USA. That is why the market has bottomed out and is flooded with people giving away horses.
hmm.png

Quote:
I heard somewhere that they just shut down the slaughter houses, but you can still slaughter for meat if you do it yourself. I think. Maybe.
I don't really get why it's so much more horrible than selling cows or chickens for meat, so long as they were cared for well.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Personally, I do not have a problem with people killing their horses for meat to feed their dogs or even their own consumption. There is a thread about this some time ago if we as Americans would eat horses. People overseas DO eat their horses and saw no problem. Like chickens, as long they have a good life, and not worthy of breeding or can not keep any longer or un adoptable, then I can see the justification in it. We are so bogged down in unwanted horses and its the most humane thing to do is to put the horse down when all efforts to get the horse adopted out or sold has pressed to the max.

If it was me, I'd rather put the horse down than finding the horse in bad shape. Horses that are destinated for meat, I do not have a problem with that either.

I don't believe everything I see in ads.

There are I think 2 slaughterhouses in the US still permitted to operate.

Horses are usually shipped to Canada or Mexico for slaughter.

Most back-yard slaughter of horses is illegal - this probably qualifies as an illegal backyard slaughter, and is probably illegal.

He may have some way of getting around it - for example, sells horse to you, then slaughters it for you.

My guess would be that there is some way in which he doesn't meet the laws and that it willl eventually be shut down.

I also think that unless a person can really afford a horse and have safe fencing and stabling, and knows how to take care of it and is committed to doing so for the next 15-20 years, they aren't doing the horse any favor to buy it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom