Help! They don’t know they are risking their lives. How do I stop this?

TheOddOneOut

🌧️🌧️🌧️
Feb 15, 2020
OR
So my yard is large for the suburbs. The six birds have lots of room to free range. The fence is tall enough that my 17-19 week birds can’t fly over it. But there is a shore pine in the corner of the yard, up against the fence, that they have taken interest in climbing. I try do deter them, but I turn my back and half of them are 10 feet up, peering over the shrubs and fence.
DE87254B-8592-466F-A0DD-B806073936D6.jpeg

Normally, I’d be all for them getting their adventure streak sated and them getting some exercise in. But this tree is right up against the fence, and with what lies on the other side....
Our neighbor, let’s call him Ethan, (protecting privacy) is not very social, and is not a fan of other people or their animals on his property. He has a young either grandkid or son, (I seriously have no idea of his age because I have never met this guy.) He shoos away trick-or-treaters and carolers. This guy does not like being bothered. But, that’s not even it.
He has at least two big dogs, probably three. A Rottweiler, and a (probably) black Lab x Border Collie mix, and (this is maybe a relative’s dog) a pure black Lab. So, basically chicken killing machines. Three of them.
He also has a pool, and a garden. The chickens, if they clear the fence, have no experience with water, other than what’s in their waterer, and me watering the garden. They haven’t even ever had a bath. They would drown, not knowing how to get out or how to stay afloat for a minute.
And he certainly won’t take well to birds in his garden.
I love these birds. I worked for three and a half years to bring them into my life. My parents, since I’m a teen, are expecting me to keep them alive. I want to keep them alive. But how do I do this?
4F0B1818-02DA-462D-BBCD-07EBE251A52A.jpeg

They are incredibly noisy when we don’t let them out in the morning. That isn’t a solution. And my parents, though with some convincing will probably do it, don’t want to chop branches or build a barrier. The birds will climb this tree and go over the fence if we do nothing. This can’t happen either. I know there isn’t much time till these chickens are too fat and lazy to want to, but what can I do to deter them till then?
Please help!
Any suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
How do they climb up the tree? If they jump up from the really low branch's then you could probably put some fencing around the base of the tree. Or you could fence off that section of the yard so they can't access the tree, if they just fly up into the higher branches.
I know. The thing is, when they go up high, they are walking up the trunk. They aren’t jumping from branch to branch. Thanks for the reply.

If it were your yard and tree, I’d suggest cutting the tree down, but that doesn’t seem to be an option. The only other thing I can think of is putting a fence around the tree somehow, so they can’t climb/jump into it.

If it were your yard and tree, I’d suggest cutting the tree down, but that doesn’t seem to be an option. The only other thing I can think of is putting a fence around the tree somehow, so they can’t climb/jump into it.
Yes, that would be an option, but my family feels like that is too much. Are there other ways to deter them? Other then chopping limbs and building fences?

Have you tried clipping their wings to prevent them from having enough balance to jump if you haven't done it before sowtheland and Justin Rhodes have tutorials
You you can also try adding a run to their coop to prevent them from getting out

Have you tried clipping their wings to prevent them from having enough balance to jump if you haven't done it before sowtheland and Justin Rhodes have tutorials
You you can also try adding a run to their coop to prevent them from getting out
We haven’t, that is a good idea.
There is a run, but they much prefer free-ranging.

Back
Top Bottom