Help! They don’t know they are risking their lives. How do I stop this?

I have a tree with low branches and 8' fence. tree being taller than the fence. My birds climb the tree and maybe one few over the fence in 25 years.

I have a tree with low branches and 8' fence. tree being taller than the fence. My birds climb the tree and maybe one few over the fence in 25 years.
Yes, but our birds seem very interested in the neighbor’s yard, and if they went over the fence, well...read my post.

I would clip wings. Super easy. Plenty of YouTube tutorials.

Chickens can swim. I had a hen get out of the fence and come into our pool area. We had the dog (Great Pyrenees, on a leash) up in the pool area. The dog got excited, scared the chicken, and the chicken jumped into the pool to escape the dog. She swam across it, got out, and then proceeded to preen on the other side of the pool.
Don't worry about them not being able to swim. They can.

If they are climbing the tree, rather than flying, I do not think wing clipping will help.

The photo of the tree has some kind of mesh fencing visible: something like that around the tree would probably work well.

If your parents do not want a fence--it might help if you figure out why. If appearance is the issue, come up with something that looks nice. If it's cost, you need cheap. If they are worried that it will be difficult to remove, you need something easy to take out again (dog kennel panels are great for moving around to protect different things, but if you have to buy them new--they are not cheap.) If your parents are concerned about how easily they can access that corner of the yard, then a good gate (or easy-remove section of fence) is needed. And so forth.

Or maybe you could put a sprinkler in that corner. I'm thinking especially of the kind that squirts around and around in a circle--most chickens do not like getting hit with water.

I would clip wings. Super easy. Plenty of YouTube tutorials.

Chickens can swim. I had a hen get out of the fence and come into our pool area. We had the dog (Great Pyrenees, on a leash) up in the pool area. The dog got excited, scared the chicken, and the chicken jumped into the pool to escape the dog. She swam across it, got out, and then proceeded to preen on the other side of the pool.
Don't worry about them not being able to swim. They can.
Good to know. Still, I don’t want to take any chances.

If they are climbing the tree, rather than flying, I do not think wing clipping will help.

The photo of the tree has some kind of mesh fencing visible: something like that around the tree would probably work well.

If your parents do not want a fence--it might help if you figure out why. If appearance is the issue, come up with something that looks nice. If it's cost, you need cheap. If they are worried that it will be difficult to remove, you need something easy to take out again (dog kennel panels are great for moving around to protect different things, but if you have to buy them new--they are not cheap.) If your parents are concerned about how easily they can access that corner of the yard, then a good gate (or easy-remove section of fence) is needed. And so forth.

Or maybe you could put a sprinkler in that corner. I'm thinking especially of the kind that squirts around and around in a circle--most chickens do not like getting hit with water.
Thanks, I will ask them. A sprinkler is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom