HELP- think my RR might be dying UPDATE

She might also have an illness that no medication can cure.

I would start by eliminating worms or mites/lice as a cause. Check for mites/lice around the vent. If you do not have them on a worming program, you should probably start with a round of piperazine, so the dieoff of the worms does not kill her, too. Later you can give ivermectin for other types of worms.

If she does not have mites/lice, and you already worm them, not sure there is much you can do, other than probiotics and basic supportive care. She does get enough protein, doesn't she?

Well i went home last night and there she was just sitting there all by herself.
sad.png
I was able to catch her right away which is really unusual for my girls.
I checked her and the only that thing that is kinda strange is her crop is a little swollen and spongy. But i checked two of my other girls and they feel about the same. She has poo stuck to her tail feathers so i know something is going on.
I checked her all over for mites and or lice, nothing there. I was checking her eye-site and her reaction was pretty slow to my finger coming close to her eyeball...don't know if that is normal or not.
I gave her some electrolytes which she seemed to like.
All the other girls were running around looking for bugs and scratching and she was just hanging out by herself.
She didn't sleep in the coop last night just sat outside on the perch out there.

I give them lay mash, Oyster shells.
safe fruits and veggies - from the chicken treat section from this site
smile.png

I am starting to wonder if the fact that her feathers are not growing back are due to her sleeping in her nest box @ night or maybe she has kind of disease that i was not aware of...

Any ideas?

Feathers not growing back? Is she molting, perhaps?

My girls don't act normal when they're molting. Also, to help improve recovery, I make sure to give them extra protein (diced hard boiled egg whites).

I had a production red doing almost exactly what you're describing (off to herself, easy to catch, short on feathers) for about 3 days; yesterday, she was back to her normal self and wouldn't let me get near her.

Back
Top Bottom