Help, Tiny Muscovy Isn't Growing!

Pixeydust since your eggs got cold on that one batch can you please let me know what sex your ducklings turned out to be. I had three mishaps with my small hatchings and each time the eggs got cold and they all turned out to be drakes. I read that if the eggs get cold this will happen. I am just interested to see if all of yours were drakes. One time Momma duck left the eggs when it was bitter cold out, I rescued two eggs that hatched that were ice cold and they were both boys, next time my light burned out in my homemade incubator in the middle of the night, eggs were cold, drakes again. The last time the power went out in the middle of the night, eggs cold and the last one turned out to be a drake as well. I appreciate you letting me know if yours are boys. It's so hard to believe that this can change the sex of a bird but it surely happened to me or it was quite a coincidence. Thanks much.
I had not even thought about that, but since you mentioned it, they were almost all boys! Snake turned out to be male, and out of about 11 muscovy babies total, only 3 were females, which I did think seemed odd. Maybe there is something to the temperature thing. I hatched another 8 Muscovy babies recently. The incubator ran perfectly except for overheating a couple times in the hot weather. I ended up with 6 females and 2 males this time. Maybe the temperature does make a difference or maybe just coincidence?

Pixeydust since your eggs got cold on that one batch can you please let me know what sex your ducklings turned out to be. I had three mishaps with my small hatchings and each time the eggs got cold and they all turned out to be drakes. I read that if the eggs get cold this will happen. I am just interested to see if all of yours were drakes. One time Momma duck left the eggs when it was bitter cold out, I rescued two eggs that hatched that were ice cold and they were both boys, next time my light burned out in my homemade incubator in the middle of the night, eggs were cold, drakes again. The last time the power went out in the middle of the night, eggs cold and the last one turned out to be a drake as well. I appreciate you letting me know if yours are boys. It's so hard to believe that this can change the sex of a bird but it surely happened to me or it was quite a coincidence. Thanks much.
That is interesting. I wonder if it's because drakes are feistier therefore more likely to survive a cold hatch?

I had not even thought about that, but since you mentioned it, they were almost all boys! Snake turned out to be male, and out of about 11 muscovy babies total, only 3 were females, which I did think seemed odd. Maybe there is something to the temperature thing. I hatched another 8 Muscovy babies recently. The incubator ran perfectly except for overheating a couple times in the hot weather. I ended up with 6 females and 2 males this time. Maybe the temperature does make a difference or maybe just coincidence?
Thank you for letting me know. I found it odd that I had all drakes and then when someone told me that the temperature does affect the outcome I looked it up online and it agreed with what they had told me. My luck is bad at doing this so I am getting back some of my hens that I let for for a study and rehoming most of my boys. Thanks again for your reply, I deeply appreciated it.

Back
Top Bottom