Help to Identify Breed of Rescued Chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GingerZoo, Jan 4, 2011.

1. GingerZoo

GingerZoo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2008
    I am a volunteer for a bird rescue and I got a call last night to pick up a chicken that fell into a swimming pool. Poor girl was soaked to the bone. She's fine today after spending last night wrapped in a warm towel next to a heater. But, I'm not sure what she is as far as her breed. It appears that she's missing some tail feathers, so it makes it harder for me to identify. I looked all afternoon at pictures of breeds, but I still haven't a clue. Can anybody help me identify her breed?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I think I see saddle feathers. Could be a rooster?

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Black australop. I got 4 just like her.

4. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    rats, thought I was getting better at spotting roosters! That's a lucky chicken to have you!

5. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:I agree

And she looks like she's had a rough time of it, or is a senior chick-izen (my play on senior citizen..hahaha) [​IMG]

6. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I don't think she's a black australorpe at all...she looks brownish to me. My austrolorpes are pitch black. I think she's a mix RIR with something (the green/gray colored legs).

7. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I would guess an old Black Sex-Link or mutt hen. Some Black Sex-Link hens will have very little or no red on their throat and breast. She has the dark legs, so she's not a purebred Australorp, but may be an Australorp cross.

8. FarmerBoy24

FarmerBoy24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Moreno Valley Ca
    Black Austrolope, I have 2. I don't think it's a rooster because my hens (BAs) look just like her.

Do you know how old she is?

9. BEAKMAN42

BEAKMAN42 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2010
    No spurs on the legs-->NOT A ROOSTER.

10. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Black Australorp mix hen. She looks as though the has been through hell. I hope you can give her the help she needs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by