Help! To lock them up or not to lock them up.

Elgoody

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 5, 2013
Highgate Springs, VT
Since we got our Guinea's about three months ago, we've had a steady schedule. Inside their fully enclosed pen, they have what I call a coop. I'm really not sure if that's what it should be called. About three feet off the ground towards the back of our 8X8 foot pen, we have about a 2-3 foot deep by three foot high by 8 foot wide "coop". There are two doors on hinges that stay propped open by a hook on the ceiling of the pen and when you unhook them, they swing down and the coop is locked up. Everynight around 9pm we go out and the birds are perched in the "coop" and we close the doors. Every morning during the week, we get up for work around the same time that the sun comes up and we open up the doors to the "coop" and they are out in the pen for the day. On the weekends, we are not always good at going right out at sunrise to open the door so even though the sun is up, they are sometimes still in the dark, closed up in their "coop" until we go out and open the "coop" doors. My question is, will they ABSOLUTELY hate it if we don't close both doors to the "coop" anymore at night? The pen is locked up and their "coop" is three feet off the ground so even is something DID get in the pen, it might have a hard time getting to them. Not to mention we would hear the birds squacking because they are right outside our bedroom window. I guess I'm wondering if they would like it better being all cooped up in their "coop" but them not being able to come out into the daylight when they want or if they would prefer that we leave one door open so they can come and go as they please throughout the pen. They're my babies and I don't want to stress them out or "hurt their feelings". I'm pathetic I know. :)

The only thing that will really hurt their feelings is the bite from that raccoon in the middle of the night. Close the door.

The only thing that will really hurt their feelings is the bite from that raccoon in the middle of the night. Close the door.

Couldn't agree with av8tor more. Close the door. Get out to open it in the a.m. as soon as you can, but don't stress over an hour in the morning here or there.

Raccoons are clever. Never underestimate their ability to get to their dinner. A stray dog can dig under a pen unless it's buried 12" into the ground (and even then...!) The door is added protection, why not use it? And by the time you hear them screaming, get out of bed and get to them, at least one will be dead.

Agreed as above. Once the music starts outside your window, somebody's dance is already over.

I agree with all replies here. Keeping your birds safe/alive should always win hands down over feeding the predators, even if they (birds and preds) hate you for it, lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom