Help..too many eggs!

DucksOhio

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 17, 2016
Northeast Ohio
hi all

I’m in weird position..

I have 10 healthy girl ducks laying, and I am trying to give the eggs away for free.

I have an egg intolerance, any eggs.

My eggs are fresh, cleaned every day, and I have a ton of eco friendly egg cartons with cute labels.

I would love to find a way to give them away..but I’m kinda shy and I don’t want to just approach neighbors I don’t know and ask them to take them.

My heart breaks if I have to throw away older eggs.

Any suggestions, my friends? Thanks as always

The crazy thing is alot of people think free things are Valueless

its how very similair products can sell for 10$ or 100$. Some people want to spend 100$ because they think its better

Anyway! Your eggs are definitly treasures. You can boil a bunch and feed them back to the birds as treats, or post on your local kijiji. Bring some to a flea market and give them away there with you phone number. If they like them then they can buy them from you

If you could get 4 steady customers to buy a dosen a week youd be set

Put up a sign. Make them cheap, $2 or something, once people know, you can give them away if you want. Duck eggs would go like hotcakes where I am, I've been asked more than once to add ducks to my flock so people could get eggs (that's a nope for me!). Given a little time the demand will probably out pace your production.

Have you tried posting on Craigslist?

Also I've seen several people near my house put eggs in a cooler and put the cooler near the road with a sign saying "Fresh Eggs $5" Then you wouldn't have to interact with them at all.

I don't eat eggs either, by choice, so I give mine away to family and friends. I only have 3 ducks now, though. If an egg is too messy to share I give it to my dog, and if a duck is taking medication I compost the eggs. I can't stand throwing them away either.

I live on a short private drive in the country on some acres. I have several neighbors that love getting eggs. I give away 8 dozen a week to 4 of my neighbors. My girls free range and my neighbors all love having my girls in their yards off and on eating the grass and bugs when they decide to go for a stroll. I even started putting excess produce from my garden at our mailbox area for our private drive and they love getting free fresh vegetables during gardening season. Good neighbors are nice to have around. I would go with homeless shelter or sup kitchen if any are close. Craigslist might work but I wouldnt want strangers at my small farm looking at my house or outbuildings and personal stuff.

Or you could sell them to a deluxe food store. I get about $4 a dozen, and they sell them for $8 a dozen, and I am okay with that!

Alternatively, you could sell them as hatching eggs. I get $30 a dozen and the buyer pays for the shipping; I advertise through poultryshowcentral.com, which is free.

You won't sell all of them this way, but it definitely helps pay for the feed!

Back
Top Bottom