Help treating chicken mites

Kelllynnl

Songster
6 Years
Jan 17, 2018
Northern Ontario
Hi all, I need some help treating chicken mites!
I have a small flock of 8 (pet)chickens that are 5 years old. A few months ago I noticed they were attacking one hen so she know lives in a cat carry in my house at night and gets let out into the yard during the day. A few days ago I noticed when I brought her inside dark flecks were moving on my hands. I’m assuming they are mites. She doesn’t dust bath and doesn’t go inside the pen with the other chickens. I’ve checked them and it doesn’t look like they have any but I sprinkled DE all over in their pen.
I’ve thouroughly sprayed her carrier with water and vinegar with peppermint and clove oil and mixed her clean shavings with DE.
I’ve dusted her with permitherin chicken dust and slathered her feet and comb with coconut oil. I’ve also gave her a dose of ivermectin. (She hasn’t laid eggs in 3 years). And mixing probiotics in her food. I’ve also steamed cleaned the entire room she was in.
I’ve put her carrier in the box of my truck to sleep at night.
Wondering if anyone has any other suggestions to rid her of these. I don’t think they are the red mites they look dark grey and not red.

Cut the DE, it can severely damage their respiratory symptoms if inhaled. Can you see if you can get one of these mites on a piece of clear tape and take a clear picture?

Permethrin is good. Keep using that.

Another thing we’ve had amazing luck with is Elector ESP, but it can be pricey. A little bit goes a long way though.

Ok so it’s been over a week and the only thing I could find was a permitherin spray for fleas in your house. I sprayed that and cleaned their coop well. The mites seem to be gone. I’ve used a flashlight in the evening all over the white walls inside the coop and could not find one ( before I was able to see a lot)
Unfortunately I heard a ruckus in the coop this morning and went to check and my rooster lay on his back beside the roost. He must have just passed because he was still warm and pliable. My girls are very upset. As well my hen that I had in a carrier and would let her free range all day, well she had passed away too. I’m hoping it was just a coincidence they passed within hours of each other. They had just turned 5 years September 8th. I found a nice box that fit theM both ♥️

I agree with you! Ivermectin has worked a lot more for me too. My coop is all wood so it has been rough trying to get every knot and crack saturated. After going through this, I have learned so much. I know what not to use when building a coop lol lol. It seems somethings work and somethings don’t. It’s all trial by error unfortunately. It is great your chickens feathers are starting to grow back, what wonderful news. I bet you can’t wait.
Thanks! I just hope I don't ever have to go thru it again!

Ok. I’ll see if I can get that! I live in ontario and unfortunately our gvmt has banned almost everything :/. I got a canister of dust just before they banned that. I don’t know what to use once that’s run out.
I will try to get a pic of the mite! My only concern is they usually splatter when they get stuck to tape

Permethrin, apply 10 days or so later for eggs
northern fowl mites if dark colored
when done handling chickens change clothing and wash
wash chicken coop, I use Permethrin and dilute

Back
Top Bottom